Salt Water Invasion

F

frankc

After making a hard run to Catalina Island and back, the next day I opened the motor cover to find a substaintial amount of dried saltwater caked on some of the componants. I removed the salt and WD'd everything inside. Should water be getting inside of the compartment? The engine cover was in place and locked as far as I could tell. If so can I wash out the inside of the compartment with fresh water and what should I cover befor I do.

Thanks in advance

frankc,

I know that my Suzuki has a fairly water tight hood and I would suppose the other brands are the same. Water inside the hood would almost have to enter through the air intake opening or the hood was loose. I have had waves breaking onto the back of my engine and never got enough salt residue under the hood to worry about.

Corrosion Guard is a good product to buy. You can coat all the effected parts after cleaning them. I would start with Salt Away or similar product, avoid spraying the engine with hose water. Rinse lighty with fresh water not under pressure, let dry and then apply WD-40 or corrosion guard. Modern engines are pretty easy to keep clean and solid state ignition and fuel injection make water intrusion not much of a problem anymore.

Codfish

Most never get that much salt water in them and if you have a water pressure gauge I would make sure the the feed hose is NOT leaking... Had one on my old Yamaha start leaking and took out a starter before it was all said and done :eek:

I have heard Varado's having this problem. Think they had some type of dealer modification that had to be done to the cowling.

Once clean, spay a thin film of silicone aeresol all over the engine.

My Yamaha 115 usually has some salt residue from droplets of sea vapor (only at the rear section of the engine).

I spoke to a Yamaha rep. and he said it's normal to have some water vapor trap under the cover. There are weep holes in the bottom section to allow any splashed water to drain, therefore some water vapor will be trapped under the engine cover.

He recommends, letting the engine cool first. Rinse salt off with fresh water and apply silicone spray or any anti corrosion spray.

Not WD40
WD40 DEGRADES RUBBER AND PLASTIC PARTS

If it were my motor I'd put it on the hose and pull the cover off of it and run it a while to see if there is a leak somewhere.

I take my motor and rinse off the salt residue with a weak solution of simple green and water (Like a table spoon in a quart spray bottle) and then a sprtiz with clean water but I don't flood the motor just use the spritz bottle.

It also helps to do this with a warm motor and on a nice dry day so things dry out real well before you slap the cover back on.

The idea here being you want to disolve and rinse away the salt but not the protective oil type spray you have on your motor. I use a Yamaha marine spray which is a lot like CRC.

Back