slight cavitation ?

russkatjak

Registered Member
I own a new 170 cc with a yamaha 60 motor. I only have 58 hrs on the boat and am noticing a slight cavitation every 45 to 60 sec. with the motor. I checked the fuel filter on the motor and it is clean. The air filter seems to be non existant. Or have I just missed it? The problem is constant at any rpm. Does anyone have any advice or should I go back to the dealer? This is my first boat and I feel clueless, I would appreciate any help you guys could give me! Thanks in advance

Russ

russkatjak, Not sure about what you are saying. Are you saying cavitation as the prop is slipping in the water causing the RPM of the motor to increase and the boat speed to slowdown? Or are you saying that the motor has a hesitation every 45 to 60 sec where the motor will spit, pop, backfire and or lose RPM's? At any case you need to check the problrm out before any damage is caused. By you saying that the problem is constant at any RPM I would think that it is not cavitation and sounds more like the engine is hesitating or losing power for some reason. And you are right about the air cleaner, it is non existant. Most all outboard moters do not have air cleaner filters.
From what I read from your post I would be looking at the fuel system. Is the fuel tank vented? Has the priming bulb been installed in the right direction? (On the priming bulb there is an arrow and it should be pointing toward the motor) Is there a crimp in the fuel line going to the engine? Is all of the fuel line connections tight and not sucking air?
That is just a few things that you can check. The important thing is that you get it taken care of be fore any damange.
Take it back to your dealer and let them check it out.
Good luck and we all have been clueless before, so hang in there and things will work out. Bob

Back