Stainless Propellers

CRIMAR30

Participating Member
City
Hamlet
Can anyone explain what the advantage is of a SS propeller over an aluminum one?

CRIMAR30,

This article written by Bill Hutchinson and may be a little more information than you're looking for but it should answer your question.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/props.html

Another consideration when using a stainless prop is it can result in a damaged or broken drive shaft if you hit a submerged rock or stump. Not to say this can't happen with an aluminum prop but a lot of folks think the likelihood increases with a stainless prop.

This is a big reason why composites are becoming more popular.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Ss Props

That's what I've heard also, that a SS prop is so tough, it's the engine that suffers, and not the prop, and that the aluminum ones break the prop rather than damage the engine.

if you hit a submerged rock or something hard enough to tear up your lower unit odds are the prop will have damage also.

Many Stainless Props now have a hard plastic center hub designed to break before any lower unit damage would result. Though I have a big fan of the Propulse props and the advantages of such and I still use mine from time to time... My 3 bladed Stainless prop will eat it for lunch (as expected) in both launch and top end speed.

This should also equate (though I have not tested such yet) to better range at my best cruise RPM of 4000 RPM thus saving me fuel (money) in the long run. A couple of tanks of fuel running it though, and the fuel burn spread I posted here should tell me if my theory is correct or not ;)

Back