Starting Problems

hydrotherapy

Registered Member
City
Winston-Salem
Hi All, i was out this weekend with my new 08 190 bay with a 150 etec . for some reason the start swith would run through the self check system but would not turn the motor over. I tried again a few minutes later exactly the same way and it turned over with an immediate start. Went back to safe harbor and went to start the motor with the same result. Waited about an hour and she fired right up. In the mean tome i played with the nuetral switch and the kill switch laynard checked all fuses and connections. It seems to have a mind of its own. Has anyone had this problem before?

General info but the first two things I'd check are the batteries(old/low waterlevel)/battery terminals/cables(corrosion/loose) and the kill switch lanyard key(worn or not the exact/correct thickness of key). How does the trim work when the engine won't fire? Kinda gives you an idea on the battery strength.

One time had the fuel line come unclipped at the motor and a bad priming bulb causing a loss of "prime. These are all easy and cheap issues. Hope your's stays that way!

Good Luck, Molar

do you have two batteries on board if so try starting the boat with the other one if it will start than you may have a bad cell in your batterie. . if you have a voltage gage on you boat turn the switch on see what kind of voltage is on the batterie. but it sounds like a bad connection some where maybe in the switch it self . a elect. problem is some time hard to fine hopes this helps good luck

Thanks, I checked the battery charge and it was fully charged. It must be the switch. Sounds like its back to the dealer

hydrotherapy if you would let me know what you find out about your e-etc i have one on my boat and it might happen to mine one day. hope you get verything back in working order. the e-etc still is a great motor. thanks

starting problem

It ended up not being a problem with the motor but rather a wiring problem in the front consol. They said the fixed it. I have not tried it yet. The did tell me that the cranking battery needed to be 800 cca. I thought that was high.

good i am glad there was nothing wrong with the motor. now you can get on the water

Back