towing with the motor up

elroy

Participating Member
City
Wiscasset
Hi, I will be towing my 170cc with 75hp etech approx 2000 miles in May and am wondering how well the factory motor support will hold up. I have tried to search this because I think i saw somthing before saying I need more support? I live on the coast of Maine and am going fishing between James Bay and Lake Superior in Canada with 17 of my friends. I wouldn't think of leaving my Triumph behind. thanks in advance. Bob

Since your going to be traveling that far, get a trailer mounted transom saver. I was told the supports on the motor are for towing short distances (boat ramp to home). I have a 170CC with a 60 hp Yamaha that I towing round trip 1800 miles to Florida twice a year. The transom saver I have bolted to a hole in the trailer frame without having to modify. Took only 5 minutes to install. Hope this helps, good luck.

Elroy, I have the same experience towing a 170 CC from Maryland to Florida. I purchased my transom saver at Bass Pro Shop for about $50.

The transome saver reduces both weight of the outboard on the transom and flex on the transome due to up and down motion from pot holes and speed bumps.

I feel that this would be money well spent, especially if you plan to tow long distances.

That sounds like quite a trip you have planned. Enjoy!! Bob

thanks guys, thats why I love this site so much! I will order one today from bass pro. Thanks again!

Hey guys I have one more question, how long was the transom saver you have . i have a 75hp etech. thanks again.

Elroy,
They are adjustable. Check out Wal-Mart. I have a 170CC. I bought mine from them several years ago for around $29.00. It works great.I use it everytime I tow the boat. You could hit a small pot hole and the motor supports could come loose and damage your tilt/trim cylinder and ruin your trip. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Towing the 170CC behind my 6 cyl. jeep is an easy drive; hardly noticeble at all. Enjoy!
John D.

Hi, I will be towing my 170cc with 75hp etech approx 2000 miles in May and am wondering how well the factory motor support will hold up. I have tried to search this because I think i saw something before saying I need more support? I live on the coast of Maine and am going fishing between James Bay and Lake Superior in Canada with 17 of my friends. I wouldn't think of leaving my Triumph behind. thanks in advance. Bob

Many of us Bob use these puppies http://www.m-ywedge.com/order.htm and they work very well and fast to both install and remove, as well as being easy to store at the same time

Back