Transporting my Triumph

jrctexas

Registered Member
City
Houston

Please ask the factory;
Should we be tilting the engine most of the way up and using the tilt locking levers while trailering the boat to and from our destination??

In my case, I have a 2005 190 Bay with a Yamaha F150

thanks

I believe the Yamaha maunual does not recommend transport on those levers, although many have without issues. Yamaha recommends a little doo-hicky (not the technical term they use of course) that goes near the hydraulic lift. I have used the lever locally. For extended transport such as NC to FL I have lowered onto a block of wood but I have to be careful not to bust off a grease fitting.

Of course I am not the factory am I....

Refer to your Yamaha manual or download one from the internet. Like Toolman said it's not recommended to transport your boat using those levers.You can hit a pot hole and the motor can bounce, then the levers will lower which could cause damage to the levers or your trim cylinders. Look at using a "MyWedge".Look it up on the internet. I have used one for about 5 years on my Triumph boats.Several other members use them. Very easy to put on and it absorbs a lot of energy from the highway.

I second fridaysoff's endorsement of the "MyWedge". I've used one on my 191FS / F150 for 3 years now and it works great.

I am familiar with doo-hickys, wedges and even transom-savers but I think I read something in the TRIUMPH manual that said to use the tilt levers. I have been told by others that traveling with the engine up is not good (for various reasons). We all know about supporting the transom with the trailer and other unique support requirements of our boats. I was interested in what the factory recommends as far as the boat is concerned. A 500lb motor is basically the same as far as the boat is concerned no matter who's name is on it (those decals hardly weigh anything).

I think it's fair to say the torque that is put on the transom by the motor can be significantly different depending on how far up or down the motor is as it goes bouncing down the highway. My neighbor across the street always puts his (same motor different boat) up and I would have mine mostly down (because the guy I bought my boat from said that's what I should do). We just had this discussion for the 5th time. I am just looking for a little clarity in my life.

When I posted the question earlier, I couldn't find my manual, while writing this reply I conducted another sweep of the garage and it was discovered. Indeed on 6-5 in the Loading Your Boat On The Trailer section step 8 says "Make sure engine tilt lock is engaged and secure" . Randy, did I just answer my own question? Triumph recommends putting the engine up and using the tilt locks?

I looked in my Yamaha manual and couldn't find anything that told me how to set the engine for transporting, but that . . . is for a different forum.

MyWedge guys, I have read about these several times and whenever someone mentions them it is always in a positive light. I see where they would protect the rams and associated hydraulics and absorb vibration and stop the metal parts from rubbing together – all good. But it doesn't seem like it would protect the transom from the effects of the engine as you hit those potholes and (in Texas) Armadillos.

Am I just being silly worrying about the transom???

I seem to remember the factory manual for our boat recommending traveling with a transom saver to help with fatigue on the hull itself.

I checked with the factory on this for you and here was their reply:
I believe if you check Yamaha's website they will tell you NOT to use the tilt lock when trailering. Many people do with no ill effect but....

I agree, the "MyWedge" will protect the hydraulics but not the transome. I use a engine support that connects to the trailer and prevents hull strain.

JRC, there's been a lot of discussion on this forum in the past about transom savers. Some swear by the MyWedge, others like a brace to the trailer, and others don't seem to think it's necessary at all. You'll get all those opinions here again, too. I finally decided that necessary or not, use of a brace to the trailer can't hurt. I use a Shock EZ, purchased from Bass Pro. And I use the shortest length that it will adjust to, rather than having it most of the way up. I trailer the boat 500 miles round trip every time I go fishing, down I-10 and I-37, so to me it just made sense. I think you'll just have to decide on this one yourself, since you probably won't find a concensus here. But even my Suzuki manual says NOT to use the locking levers for transport.

Toolman you make an excellent point. It wouldn't be hard to imagine your transom taking a rougher beating pounding through the chop or quickly getting up on plane. I had not thought of that. So perhaps all these solutions are academic.

Harper, I also agree with you. It seems like the transom savers are the way to go because they protect both the hydraulics and the transom, you have the one with the spring in it right? I plan on buying one as well.

I am aware and have read most of the discussions on these aftermarket products but the original question wasn't "what's best" it was "how does TRIUMPH recommend we transport the boat with motor attached?" I have since discovered the my Triumph manual actually tells me to use the tilt lock levers.

Randy, thank you for asking the question for me, but the factory ducked the question. If they changed their mind since printing my manual (2005) that's fine, if it makes no difference the them - OK, one member (JustinW) said their manual recommended a transom saver – seems like a good choice.

It's interesting reading over years of posts on this matter, that of all the solutions, the one in the Triumph manual is the least recommended by members. Thanks to everyone for contributing. As is usually the case, there is not one right answer. This can be hard on newbies but it provides depth and nuance for those committed to the hobby (reminds me of fishing) ;)

I personally started off with a transom saver then later added the MyWedge product. I actually used both for awhile, but eventually quit using the transom saver in favor of the MyWedge.

"Harper, I also agree with you. It seems like the transom savers are the way to go because they protect both the hydraulics and the transom, you have the one with the spring in it right? I plan on buying one as well." - jrctexas

Yep, has the spring, a pretty stiff spring, at that......a U shaped clip mounts to the trailer (one bolt) and attaches to brace with a retaining pin. I lower the engine just enough to put pressure on the spring.

Factory follow up....
I believe that Yamaha changed there position on this but it doesn't really matter. From a Triumph standpoint we don't care how they transport their engine, the transom will be fine. This is really an engine manufacturer question.

I tilt up the motor, remove the tilt stop pin and move it to the highest setting, lower the motor just until it touches the stop pin and drive off.

Simple.

I bought a reglar transom saver and cut one side of the forks that's suposed to goes over the roller so it fits snugly on the center bunk boards that stick out. I set the height to where I feel comfortable and I've had absolutely no problems transporting my 210 Chaos no matter how long or short the trip.

Can't cut and paste from this document.

Seems to encourage either trailering in the running position if there is sufficient ground clearance or use of a motor support such as a transom saver...

I do not know if my earlier post made it or not so here we go again. I have followed this discussion with great interest and I remember reading a like thread earlier in the year, but due to my inaction I did not follow through with ordering a transom saver or my-wedge. Now the question, which Swivl-Eze or Shock-Eze should I purchase for my 195CC with a dual axle trailer, the 27-36 inch or 31-40 inch? I know that I like the sping loaded feature, but I am not sure of the size. Any advice on this subject will be helpful.
Thanks
Dave

Hello,

I was back and forth between the mywedge and shock-eze. I went with mywedge. Seems to be a good product and has received good reviews. I also purchased mywedge centering clips for my dual hydraulic steering.

Back