Trim Tab Indicator switch

Tygh

Participating Member
City
San Diego
I am installing Lenco trim tabs on my boat. I am not sure which switch to install. It comes with a standard waterproof switch or you can upgrade to an indicator switch that shows the tab position.

Any advice on which is preferred?? The difference in price is $140.....guess them light thingees are expensive.

I had the tab indicator on my previous boat and really liked them. I thought about purchasing a set for the new boat but I'm way over tapped on it already. So I'll go with the standard switch for awhile. But I think they are worth the difference. I liked the fact that they automatically move your tabs back to their up position when you switch off the boat.

I'm installing the Bennett trim tabs. Bennett offers a NMEA 2000 compatible indicator for Lowrance units for $169 that displays on your GPS/Sonar. I was thinking of buying it then decided to give the tabs a try without the indicators.

NCAngler, how do you use your tabs? Do you just park them in the up position unless you're traveling at cruising speed or better and find that you need them? or do you work with them at less than planing speeds? I presume that until you hit planing speeds, the effect, other than balancing the boat is minimal.

Also, how do you trim between motor tilt and tabs?

Like to hear your experiences.

I trim the motor for maximum ride then use the trim tabs to smooth out the ride and fine tune the speed. When I'm in skinny water sometimes I'll use the trim tabs to get up on plane very quickly. They are most useful though for smoothing out the ride especially in rough water. Hope that helps.

i have the indicator style and i wouldn't trade them for anything. a quick glance shows you exactly what position the tabs are in and they auto retract the tabs when the switch is turned off.
berto

jergofish said:
I'm installing the Bennett trim tabs. Bennett offers a NMEA 2000 compatible indicator for Lowrance units for $169 that displays on your GPS/Sonar. I was thinking of buying it then decided to give the tabs a try without the indicators.

NCAngler, how do you use your tabs? Do you just park them in the up position unless you're traveling at cruising speed or better and find that you need them? or do you work with them at less than planing speeds? I presume that until you hit planing speeds, the effect, other than balancing the boat is minimal.

Also, how do you trim between motor tilt and tabs?

Like to hear your experiences.
Jergofish --
I think you will find that to start with, you trim the hull by sight of the bow, with the tabs. Then trim the motor to the hull. Alot of what was accomplished with the tilt/trim on the motor can now be accomplished with the tabs in terms of hull planing and lateral balance. If you use the hull/bow as your guide, have auto-retract, the indicators become redundant.

Just my two cents worth.

thoughts on trim tabs

Tygh said:
I am installing Lenco trim tabs on my boat. I am not sure which switch to install. It comes with a standard waterproof switch or you can upgrade to an indicator switch that shows the tab position.

Any advice on which is preferred?? The difference in price is $140.....guess them light thingees are expensive.
im looking into getting trim tabs for my boat. the led lights are supose to last for
up to 10 years, they use very little power , and lets you know right where each are angled at without having to guess which one needs to be moved. the difference in price at boatersworld is over 200.00..

Back