Upper Bay/Susquehanna Flats Fishing Report 4/05/07

Capt.Karl

Registered Member
City
Aberdeen
Capt. Karl’s Upper Chesapeake Bay/Susquehanna Flats Fishing Report
Thursday, April 5th, 2007

Welcome Aboard! To my first fishing report of the 2007 fishing season. For 2007 I will be posting my fishing report on Thursday evenings as many of you have requested that way I will be able to supply you with the most current information to help you plan your much hard earned weekend of fishing after the long work week.

Spring will finally get here for good. The bass are dealing with the cold muddy water much better than the striper/rockfish are on the Susquehanna Flats “Catch & Release” season. We will not know just how bad the cold rain water from yesterdays rains and today’s high winds combined with the high wind and unseasonably cold weather that is forecasted for this Easter weekend will hurt the water temperature and clarity until the first of next, as one of the major factors will be how much water the Conowingo Dam release’s. You can check the Conowingo Dam water flow schedule by calling (410) 457-4076.

The bass bite has been excellent. We are finding fish on the main creek points, docks and channel edges and most any large wood laydowns. We have been fishing Optimum Baits, Tales of Optimum Swim Baits in Shiner & Sunfish colors. 3/8 ounce White/Chartreuse Dave’s Tournament Tackle Assasin Shad spinnerbaits in my thumper special blade configuration. Also 3/8 ounce White/Chartreuse Chatterbait’s, for the reaction bite.

Case Plastics Brush Puppie’s and Sweet P’s in Greenpumpkin/Copper color have been our best producing plastic finesse baits. In the dirty water clarity area’s I am dipping the tails and paddles in Chartreuse dip-in-dye. The bass are holding tight to the cover, we are fishing these baits very slowly and pegging the weights or using Dave’s Tournament Tackle Spot Hopper or Round Shaky Head style jigheads in ¼ ounce to keep our baits tight to the cover.

I have been field testing a new scent, CB’s Hawg Sauce. I am using their new Bass Honey flavor gel combined with their Sweet & Sassy Garlic water base spray to make my own bass catching flavor. By combining the two types of scents the water base scent disburses quickly as the bait enters the water & the oil base gel disburses at a slower rate helping to make our bait tasty to the bass even on the long slow retrieves back to the boat as we work the big wood laydowns very thoroughly.

Water Temp. 52 degrees
Water Clarity: Less than a foot

Thanks & Good Fishing, Capt. Karl

Hey Capt Karl,

I was on the flats last weekend but not have been so lucky. I was in front of the VA hospital, Aberdeen and Carpenters point. I may have even seen you in front of Turkey Point. What size boat are you in? I have a 17 CC w a honda 75.

I am going to be out there next weekend. Would love to pick your brain as I am trying to spend more time down there.

This weather has to improve soon.

Good Luck,
Jim

h2ho'

Karl:

Thanks for posting that report... That is a ton of very useful information... Those of us that fish the flats greatly appreciate you taking the time to do this... Keep it going...

Bill McCall
"Here Fishee Fishee"

Back