Upper Bay/Susquehanna Flats Fishing Report 5/17/2007

Capt.Karl

Registered Member
City
Aberdeen
Capt. Karl's Upper Chesapeake Bay/Susquehanna Flats Fishing Report
Thursday, May 17th, 2007

Welcome Aboard! Finally we are finding small patches of grass growing and if you look closely and cover some water you will find some very nice small grass beds forming. Yes this grass exploration will take-up some of your valuable fishing time but the reward can be great!

The top-water bite has been good for us this week. We have been using the deps Basirisky and Buzz-Jet JR. in the Bluegill pattern. Both of these baits are subsurface top-water style baits that make a good wake as you slowly work them across the grass. At times this technique made us wonder if we were having too much fun, but a quick check of sense's told us NOT!

Again this week many of our plastic bait bites were very slow and soft, as many times we would not even feel a peck or see our line move but with total concentration the bait would seem to have a slightly heavy feeling, and then we would slowly set the hook by steadily increasing the pressure on our line. The "INCHI WACKY" technique seemed to work best for us when the fish were biting this soft. We were using a Case Plastics Wacky Jack in June Bug and Roadkill color.

We were using scent on all of our baits, applying CB's Hawg Sauce Bass Honey (gel) on our hard baits about every twenty cast's and CB's Hawg Sauce Sweet & Sassy water base spray on our plastics about every ten cast's.

We are starting to find some bass with a little red on their tails, these fish are trying to spawn and we are quickly getting them back into the water, please try to do the same as a successful spawn is critical to the future of our fishery and sport.

Water Temp. 71 degrees
Water Clarity: less than 6 inch's

Thanks & Good Fishing, Capt. Karl

caught one

Hello Captain Carl my name is Ben i'm from Lititz Pa i was down in Haverde Grace two weeks ago to try and get used to the flats after being away for about 12years the growing years for the kids well anyway i put my 170bt in the the water at the park ramp on far end of town went up stream towards the susquhanna turned right and went out in front of the Vetrans hospital my son was trolling a husky jery black and gold and wham he hooked a 24lb striper what fun he on had his creek rod with 8lb test it was great well enough blabbering i'm looking forward to spending alot of time on the flats this summer maybe i will see you there i have a 170 bt it has a 50hp merc and its tiller stear beige in color with a brown bimini top give a wave if you see me thanks for all of your good information have a great day Ben

Back