Upper Bay/Susquehanna Flats Fishing Report

Capt.Karl

Registered Member
City
Aberdeen
Capt, Karl's Fishing Report
October 14th, 2007
Welcome Aboard! The cooler night time temperatures and breezy days are helping to quickly bring the water temperatures down to 66.6 degrees on the Susquehanna Flats area, now if only my rain dance would work. The striper/rockfish are in the area in good numbers we are catching a lot of shorts but there are some good keeper size fish in the area. Our largest fish this week was a 24 inch rockfish that I caught on one of my new top-water plugs named (Bubba Shad) during a final field test. The Capt. Karl's series of top-water plugs are available now at Sarge's Bait and Tackle (410) 620-9183. These top-water lures are hand made by Allen Mrachek of Big AL's Lures they are designed to work on the choppy waters of the Susquehanna Flats. I have been working on these lures with Allen for almost a year and they are now available. The series presently consist of 3 lures the Capt. Karl Special, Capt. Karl JR. and Bubba Shad.

Our best pattern for the rockfish is to look for the birds and target the 10 foot water depth, but we are finding rockfish as shallow as 1 foot especially around rip-rap shorelines. During the early morning and overcast periods we are using the top-water plugs then when the sun gets high and on the blue bird sky days we are using Stillwater Lures ½ ounce Clatter Shad lipless crankbaits.

The Largemouth Bass bite has not been as consistent as the Striper/Rockfish bite. The Bass bite has been good one day and slowww! The next. The good days are good as we are getting some very good quality bass. We are having our best success targeting the wood laydowns close to deeper water and docks in the Marina's with deep water. We are fishing the ½ ounce Clatter Shad to locate the fish and then switching to 4 inch Case Plastics Jacks Worms in the Roadkill color rigged Shaky style or Tidal River Drop Shot style.

This coming week will be busy on the Upper Bay as Anglers Choice Team Trail has their Tournament Of Champions (TOC) out of Anchor Marine on Friday and Saturday, Good Luck to All!

Water Temperature; 66.6 degrees
Water Clarity; 1 foot

Thanks & Good Fishing, Capt. Karl

Attachments

• upload 10_13_07 043.jpg
    upload 10_13_07 043.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 4
Back