Using Suzuki Lubricants

bluecrab

Participating Member
City
Herndon
Hi,
I am up for an oil change and gear oil change. Anyone use anything other then Suzuki lubricants?
Is it best to stick with the engine brand lubricants?
Advice appreciated.

Blue

crab i would stick with the suzuki oils it may void the warranty if you dont..suzuki knows what runs best in their motors.some people say that all foot oils and outboard oils are all the same not true... i have a evinrude and only put evinrude oils in it... good luck

thanks but I am not under warranty. Viscosity is viscosity i would think. I suppose the differences would be impurities.

thanks for the advice
blue

actually is there anywhere in Northern VA where I might find suzuki lube?
Wanna take care of it this weekend without having to wait for shipping.
Any help is a appreciated.

Blue

Lube

Hi BC,

As an example, my Yamaha lower unit uses SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) 90 weight gear oil.

You can get gear oil at any marine store. Even some Walmarts carry the oil. Use a name brand: Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc.

Hope this helps.

I run Mobil 1 in the engine along with a Filter Mag, and either Amsoil or Mercury synthetic oil in the lower unit ;) And if you think that is expensive, try replacing either a power head or a lower unit at post warranty prices :eek:

Now since my engine carries almost 9 quarts of engine oil, and I only change it once a year, I do not see that as being expensive since I pick it up at Walmart for the guys to use for the oil change. Shoot, I even run Mobil 1 in my lawn mower so I do not wear it out as fast. Besides, I need to save all the money I can just so I can afford to buy gasoline anymore :mad:

I looked into this for my yamaha a few weeks ago and after talking to yamaha and mobile oil company I found the big thing is there is a difference between marine oil and conventional oil. All motor oil has anti-foaming agents and anti-corosive agents in it but in marine oil there is more. There is also something else in marine oil that helps with high RPM's for long periods of time.
I was going to use Mobile 1 but mobile oil company advised me to go with a certified marine oil rather than their product because their product was not designed for marine use. I am going to use the amsoil marine oil.

hope this Helps

Oils

I normally use either Pennzoil or Quicksilver lower unit lubricant. As for engine oil, I have posted a link to another post regarding this same subject. Contrary to what many manufacturers may lead you to believe, using another brand of lubricant will not void the warranty as long as that lubricant meets the minimum specifications set forht by the engine manufacturer. Voiding the warranty for using non-OEM lubricants that still meet spec is illegal.

http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/yamaha-engines/4106-oil-changes-frequency.html#post24138

evinrude oils are synthetic with lower viscosity. i used a gallon of of quicksliver in my motor made it smoke. quicksliver is good oil but not synthetic. dealer said that using it would build up more carbon on the pistons.yes using another brand of oil might not void the warranty as long as the oil meets the minimum specks... key word being minimum i my self dont want minimum protection....any kind of synthetic oil is better than regular oils. they are higher prices yes but better

I went with mercury lubs and they seem to hold up fine so far. I suppose we won;t see the long term effects till later. Thank you all for your insight.

blue

Back