What I need to know about storage in Florida

Moon Loon

Participating Member
Premium Member
City
Levis
State
Quebec
I live in Canada and I spend my winters in Florida. I am on my way to buy a 190 Bay to do some fishing during my stays. I want to store the boat from april to december instead to have it carried back in Canada each years. I know that the summer is by far more wet in Fl than here in Québec and that bring issues that are news to me. Could you provide me some advices about the precautions to take to find my boat in good shape when I will be back the next winter and save a big cleaning job?

It has a T-Top but no cover. I would préféré to have it stored under a shelter but I don’t know the cost for this type of storing. I am also concerned about the damages that a storage outside in full sun coud cause to the boat. The upholsteries will probably remain on the boat. My main concern is about mildew and dust stains caused by the combination of rain, sun over the time.

Save some $$$ by not having to have a custom cover made and see if Taylor made can make one or already has the pattern in stock for one like this: https://www.ttopcoversforboats.com/

Full Sun is not a problem, but it will only stay clean for a day or so...

There is no stain that you cannot quickly get rid of with Starbrite Mildew cleaner and in the very worse case, a pressure washer though after starting to use the Mildew cleaner I used it (the pressure washer) more for just cleaning the trailer then the boat ;)

The link on the cleaning article in #3 posting, will show you what products to use for cleaning and to help keep her that way while stored or not :cool:

The key will be getting her all nice and clean, and then applying the Armashield / BTS on it afterwards to set up a shield to slow down future growth. Then I bet all you will need to do afterwards once you return, is take it to a car wash or pressure washer for anything that may have grown while you were gone.

Hope this helps?

Dave

Thank you for your commments Dave. For sure it helps but more it’s comforting. The next thing for me will be to close the deal here in Québec or to make the purchase down in Florida next winter. It could be a
nice Christmas gift. I also have to check the regulations with the US customs and with the Florida authorities for a boat with a canadian registration. Hope my dream will come reality.

Glad to be of help!
Where are you headed in the our great State, and what type of fishing are you planning on doing? You can rig out a 190 in several ways pending your favorite way of fishing, and the needs for a Flats Boat are different than Near or Offshore work ;)

Thank you for your commments Dave. For sure it helps but more it’s comforting. The next thing for me will be to close the deal here in Québec or to make the purchase down in Florida next winter. It could be a
nice Christmas gift. I alshave to check the regulations with the US customs and with the Florida authorities for a boat with a canadian registration. Hope my dream will come reality.

I could be there december fiftheen if nothing turn wrong on the road. I plan to fish near the shore for I don’t have any experience of the sea in Florida. Here in the north the weather seems more predictable and I am used to read the waves and the clouds. Down in the south I have a feeling that quick and sudden squalls are more frequents. I prefer to build my knowledge on safety than on luck.
Elsewhere I have no ideas on the type of fishes that you can find near the coast and the way to catch them. I have fishing rods and reels to catch salmons up to 30 pounds, they are salt water resistants and I used some of them to fish from the shore in the past years. I also have a collection of fly fishing rods and casting rods that could be adequate for the flats. For the lures and flies I am poorly doted. Everything is to buy.

Back