What is the garden hose fitting on 150 4-stroke use for?

triumph190bay

Registered Member
City
Leesport
I noticed a fitting on the port side of motor just below the cowling that accepts a garden hose. I was wondering if someone could tell me what this is used for. I'm guessing it's either to be able to flush out the motor or to possibly run the motor while it is out of the water using a garden hose. It is a 2003 150 4 stroke fuel injected, thanks!

That is to flush the motor.....DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE WHILE FLUSHING THROUGH THIS PORT! ...... Make sure you re-install it before running the motor. A 5 minute flush is recommended after each use in fresh water. 8-10 after salt water.......

Pending on make you can run the engine on it, just do not go above idle.

A tank or muffs though are much better since you are feeding the impeller direct. And when you do run one to get the Salt Water out, make sure you run it long enough for the engine Thermostats to open up so you get fresh water through the entire block and head sections.

Oh and for the ones like myself who have custom BMS lower units with a low water pick up installed in the nose cone. BMS does make a special nose cone muff that fits over the front of the lower unit that is held in place with a bungee cord
Fresh Water Flushing Kit so you can flush them like a engine with a factory lower unit on muffs. Mine works quite well and feeds enough water to the engine while running to even get my water pressure gauge to work on the dash ;)

Sounds like maybe you don't have a manual for the engine? If so, you can download one with this link. There are about 6 different 150 models. Not sure which one you have. Lots of good info in there.

Outboard Owners Manuals

As "Boost" stated, the hose port is for flushing the motor WITHOUT running it.

If you run the motor, you must use muffs on the lower unit to feed the impeller or else it will melt in no time.

Your best flushing will come from using the muffs because you force water to flow through the entire motor.

As "Shallow" stated, get the owner's manual and a repair manual.

If you do get the repair manual, look for the Seloc manual. I have one Yamaha repair manual and is it obviously written for people that have ripped apart 500 engines. For us newbs the Seloc is well written and very helpful.

I have a Seloc for a Suzuki DF140 for sale cheap if anyone is interested.

Back