Whats the difference from rule sealant and 5200 sealant

S

striperking

I am curious i not understanding why Elastomeric Sealant needs to be used and why there is no talking about any other type of sealant i want to put in the drain plug which i haven't found the install instructions yet but i was thinking of using 5200 on it. So can someone clarify the reasons for this type of sealant. :confused:

because nothing else will stick to our boats. So take this with passion, if you try something different, you will hate yourself later.

You have to be careful with Elastromeric, It comes in many flavors. The stuff from Home Depot, even though it's Elastromeric has something else in it, I think Latex. It won't work. The only stuff that I know that will work on Polyethlene is the Rule brand. Don't know why, or what else is out there, but we have tried many products and Rule Rules. 5200 and silicone will fail quickly.

Dick

Sudbury Elastomeric Marine Sealant

That is the sealant i just bought but i didn't even notice that it takes 2-3 days for the company even to ship the sealant which i think that is a little crazy to take so long. I hope it get here soon. How long do you have to wait before i can put it into the water and what are the measurements for the inner hull? :eek:

Striperking, Triumph Dealers should stock rule. We normally wait overnight to splash the boats.

What boat do you have and what measurement do you need? Feel free to call me at 919-732-7377.

Dick

last question

before i apply the rule do the boat need to be prep in any kind of way to make sure it sticks when applied.

Thanks again :)

don't need no stinkin' Rule!

Sorry about the title, I just couldn't resist.

I have made several modifications to my boat and have never used Rule to seal anything. I simply wipe down the area with acetone and use while caulk with silicone. I've never had it peel off or release from the plastic, but if it does (and I've read that even Rule will release), I'll just re-caulk it. I think the key to getting a good seal is wiping down the area with acetone first.

BTW, I also wipe down with acetone before applying the yearly registration sticker to my bow. I've never had any problems with them or the registration stickers lifting off my boat either.

So, my advice is forget Rule and just wipe down the area with acetone and use inexpensive and easily obtainable white silicone caulk. You can probably get everything you need, including a caulk gun, for under $10 at the hardware store.

woodNfish

Back