Where to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmorley

Registered Member
Greetings from Michigan. Looking for some good info from members on where to retire in a few years. Loved the Great Lake fishing but need more time on the water and less winter. Thinking of N.C. or other States that have low cost of living and great fishing. Looking forward to hearing everyone thoughts.

Rick

Rick,
I recommend Citrus County, FL. We are on the west coast of Fl. Cost of living is real low, homes are fair priced but rising every year. Crime is also very low. Moved here from Long Island about 10 years ago and haven't looked back once. They don't call this "the Nature Coast" for nothin'
Anyway just my 2cents, good luck to you .
Tight Lines
Brian K

Rick,

I moved to Sarasota in 1973 from the Flint, Michigan area.

I have not found a better place, but just one person's opinion. The cost to live here is not bad, but the price of buying a home is getting more expensive each year. If you can afford it, find your retirement spot and buy a home as soon as possible.

If you go to www.weather.com and for example put in my zip code of 34229, now find the "Averages" tab. This will show you the average highs, lows, and rainfall. Once you get thru your first summer, it might take two, you will get used to the heat and the afternoon showers will cool things off. In the summer the snowbirds have gone north, the roads have much less traffic, you do not have to wait to be seated in a restaurant, and life is good. The county keeps buying more places on the water to build boat launch sites, which is a good thing. The price to store a boat is in the "forget it" price range.

Many neighborhoods in Florida have restrictions about storing a boat outside, so check that out, or make sure your garage is big enough.

Good luck on your search. I have not been back north since I moved. I just remind myself that even on the worst weather days I do NOT have to shovel any snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back