Whistle on Life Jackets??

cagrove

Contributing Member
On another fishing site that I subscribe to, one of the members mentioned that the Maryland DNR folks did a spot check of him on the water and gave a warning about not having a whistle on each life jacket. I checked the Maryland boating regs and went over the Coast Guard regs and could not find anything on it.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I'm sending off an email to the Maryland DNR folks to try to clear this up but was just curious what others may have run in to.

I don't know about the MD regs (or FL for that matter), but it sounds like a good idea regardless. I've got them on mine.

Chuck,
I just had a vessel safety check a couple of weeks ago in Havre De Grace, MD by the CG auxilliary and they didn't say anything about having whistles on the life jackets. I am not aware of it being in the regs. However I agree with Fishin' DC's, and I think I will add them to mine, especially for the grandchildrens.

Jim

Have always had one on my daughters jacket, but I do not remember that being a reg that we when I was in the Coast Guard, ever saw or worried about. We were more worried about people just having jackets more than anything else ;)

Here again, that was well back in the last "Century" as my daughter Maggie reminds me of all that time :eek: so that may have changed?

Why not?

For coastal or ocean fishing, not only a whistle but a small strobe too (both are inexpensive). People become very small dots in a very large ocean.

For bay water, perhaps just the whistle.

I agree that it is a good idea and will add them to mine. I boat in Maryland waters all the time and wanted to make sure I was completely within the regs when on the water. I have an email in to the Maryland DNR folks and am awaiting a response.

Whistles

My auto inflators from West Marine came with them in a pocket.

Response from MD DNR was that whistles are not required on life jackets but they did say it was a good idea. It's always a good idea to know the laws as even those who enforce them can make mistakes.

I'm adding whistles to my jackets.

Today I installed a whistle on all 6 of the life jackets in by boat. The two for the grandkids and 4 adults.

Jim

As a follow-up: As I was coming off the water on Saturday at around 10:30 a.m. the Coast Guard Auxillary was doing spot safety checks and asked if I would be interested...of course, I said yes. They checked the boat from top to bottom...very professional group. I asked the Captain performing the check if he had heard of the whistle on the life jacket "law" and was informed the same thing...that they recommend it but it wasn't required. He said the same about a distress flag and recommended that I carry one on board even though I had the required flares and signaling devices. One more thing to add to the safety kit.

As a side note: he saw that I had one of those pistol type flare guns and told me to not go into Washington, D.C. waters with it because the folks in D.C. consider it a handgun and will affect an arrest for violating their handgun ban. Just a warning for those who fish around our nation's capital.

Tight lines.

Safety is job one!

I am a member of the Ft. Lauderdale Power Squadron. The Power Squadron offers safety checks just like the Coast Guard Auxillary. The safety checks are given free of charge. The information presented after the safety check is offered in the hopes that we can make boating safer. Also, if you pass the safety check, a sticker is awarded and applied on the boat. Although it's just rumor, I have noticed that boats with the sticker don't get pull over often.

I am a member of the Ft. Lauderdale Power Squadron. The Power Squadron offers safety checks just like the Coast Guard Auxillary. The safety checks are given free of charge. The information presented after the safety check is offered in the hopes that we can make boating safer. Also, if you pass the safety check, a sticker is awarded and applied on the boat. Although it's just rumor, I have noticed that boats with the sticker don't get pull over often.

Barry,
The guy that did my safety check told me the same thing about the rumor you mentioned.

Jim W

Also, if you pass the safety check, a sticker is awarded and applied on the boat. Although it's just rumor, I have noticed that boats with the sticker don't get pull over often.

I applied my sticker right there on the dock. The guy that performed the inspection also stated that the "real Coast Guard" (his words, not mine) usually don't pull over boats with a current inspection sticker. I don't mind either way as I learned long ago to do things the legal way and not worry about getting stopped. It just makes the time on the water more enjoyable.

BTW...I'm sending off an email to the D.C. folks to try to verify the "flare gun is considered a handgun" comment. I'll post back when I get a response.

As a side note: he saw that I had one of those pistol type flare guns and told me to not go into Washington, D.C. waters with it because the folks in D.C. consider it a handgun and will affect an arrest for violating their handgun ban. Just a warning for those who fish around our nation's capital.

Tight lines.[/quote]

I would think that the aerial flares would be prohibited in that case also. Waiting to hear what they tell you. Thanks.

If it worked I have attached a pic of where I tucked a whistle in my life vest. I believe they were only $5.00 for two at West Marine. Cheap insurance and smart to have even if not required. Attached with an orange cord to the top of the vest and tucked under the cover. If I ever need it it will be there.
Didn't know about the flare gun rule though. Good info.

Attachments

• lifevest.jpg
    lifevest.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17
Junkman,
I have that exact same vest and was wondering where I could attach the whistle...thanks for the photo. One question, with the vest on and inflated, can you still reach the whistle as it would be behind you?

Thanks again.

BTW....still waiting to hear from the D.C. Metro PD on the flare gun issue.

Tight lines.

Answer from D.C. PD on Flare Gun

Here's the answer from the D.C. folks on the flare gun issue:

This email is in response to your question about carrying a flare gun in D.C. waters. According to D.C. code a flare gun used as a safety device is not considered a handgun. D.C. Code 7-2501.01(9).C specifically states the term firearm shall not include any device used exclusively for line throwing, signaling, or safety, and required or recommended by the Coast Guard or Interstate Commerce Commision.

I hope this information is responsive to your request. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at [email protected] or call a member of the firearms registration unit at (202)-727-4275.

Colin Hall
Sergeant Gun Control Unit
Police Business Services Division
Corporate Support Bureau
Phone 202-727-9889

Hey Chuck,
Should be able to reach it. It hangs down about where the inflator cartridge is inside the vest. When it comes out if it's not over your shoulder a quick dip to the right, swing your arm out and you should find it. Guess I'l have to manually inflate it sometimg to test this out.

Hey Chuck,
Should be able to reach it. It hangs down about where the inflator cartridge is inside the vest. When it comes out if it's not over your shoulder a quick dip to the right, swing your arm out and you should find it. Guess I'l have to manually inflate it sometimg to test this out.

OK..got it. I didn't think the string looked that long in your picture...great idea that I will surely borrow from you. Thanks.

Back