yamaha vs suzuki

R

retiredalaskan

I', looking to repower my 02/210 and i'd like to know which one would be better all around, i currently have a yamaha 225 sws. it works well but i'mm doing more trolling now and it does not like it,fouls out plugs. thanks dick..

I cannot speak of anything but the Yamaha 150 four stroke on my 210. It has all the power I need and does a great job when trolling.

For a new engine, my first concern would be for excellent service at a reasonable price. Once you find that dealer, you have found your engine. Regardless of the web site I visit, owners say good things, and owners say bad things, so to me it would be a toss of a coin. How the dealer takes care of your billfold and engine after the sale would be my top priority.

OIL is not the problem,the sws engines shut off #4 cyl when rpm is below 3K, so it ends up fouling #4 plug,it's a pain and i'm tired of it so i am looking at four strokes,thanks dick..

My old 200 HDPI engine also shut down cylinders to help reduce fuel burn and emmsions at idle and the engine bounced around quite a bit when doing such. I though never had a plug fouling condation and I pulled them on a constant basis for inspection just to make sure even after chagning over to AMSOIL.

Maybe a newer ECU has been re-programmed by Yamaha to change (lower) the RPM's at when this cylinder comes back online? A call the your local dealer to see if there has been a ECU part number change / update might be a very cost effective fix for such...

I don't know for I do not have access to a Yamaha parts books right at the moment to look it up for you Dick, but a call to Kel or Matt at Heartland to see if it has OR a service notice has been sent out by Yamaha to address such may shed some light on your plug issue? I also found this on the Internet when I was pulling a search for plug problems on your engine that may help shed some light even though no answer was given?

http://yamahaoutboardparts.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000826

Now that's not to say that the 4 stroke is NOT a good choice for I love my Honda. I would also think that staying with the Yamaha line so "some" of your present rigging could still be used, may help keep your conversion cost as low as possible...

Dave

problem solved

I tried that bulletin board and someone said to check coils sure enough coils were ok but plug caps were not. Three of the six were bad,one on #4 was almost 200k ohms other two were about 60k ohms, the point being they sparked well under test but not under compression,and load,something to keep in mind.when checking your engine.thanks dick!!!

Glad to hear such Dick and glad to be of help for that would (hanging a new engine) would have been a very expensive way to fix an ignition problem for sure :)

I would consider running either some of Yamaha's "Ring Free" product or (the very same stuff) some bottles of the clean up version Chevron's Techron product (should be able to find it at Wal mart for less cost in a black bottle) to help remove any left behind carbon deposits on the pistons from those cylinders running so far out of spec. If you think the plugs got dirty, they (the piston crowns and rings) are just as bad if not worse....

Smooth Running and Following Seas...

Dave

Back