2 hours, 2 tarpon over 100 lbs

J

jconstab

Last weekend was the first time I have taken my 17 ft Logic out tarpon fishing. I headed out by the Sunshine Skyway and we only had 2 hours to fish, so we had to make it count. We caught one tarpon and fought it for an hour. Set up another drift, and fought another tarpon for almost an hour.

It was incredible fighting from the front of my boat. I have caught tarpon on other boats but it was great being on my boat, and seeing the 17 ft Logic put to the test.
PictureorVideo019-1.jpg

8-25-07tarponwithRichandJohn032.jpg

8-25-07tarponwithRichandJohn048.jpg

Woohoo! Way to go! What a beautiful Tarpon. ;)

Thats lotsa fish for a little skiff. great job! We dont get those out west. So I will just have to enjoy yours insted. What test?

We use heavy spinning gear, 50 lb test power pro and a 50 lb flouro leader. Almost all the tarpon we catch are on live crabs.

Killer Poon ! :)
And I like your boat ramp even better :D

I am surprised though, that you have not removed that front bow rail to give you some more room and open up that 17 into more of a flats skiff layout? If you do want to do that in the future though, just let me know via PM and we can do it over at my place and fill in all the screw holes in short order ;)

Somebody needs to send that man some Triumph stickers for that hull, Randy you got any suppliers of such for a 17 ? :cool:

Fishing Tampa Bay

That was a great fish.

MY wife saw your tarpon and went nuts. We have a place in Safety Harbor, will be down for 3 weeks in Nov. New to Florida fishing. Any advice? We have caught tarpon in the Keys with a guide and that helped me convince her we need a boat. We have a new 170CC. Now I've got to show her some fish.

Where when how? Tarpon, snook ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paulgw,
I'm not well versed on tarpon fishing over the fall/winter. Most tarpon move out of the area by August and won't return until next spring (that's when I really catch them!). There are some tarpon by the upper tampa bay bridges but they are pretty difficult to find and even harder catch.

I also live in Safety Harbor so shoot my an email before you come down and I will tell you a few spots where the fish have been biting and try to help you put your wife on some fish. With the cooler weather we are having you can catch the inshore fish like snook, redfish, and spanish mackeral all close to Safety Harbor. A little further south is some excellent grouper fishing that you can access even with a 17ft.

Killer Poon ! :)
And I like your boat ramp even better :D

I am surprised though, that you have not removed that front bow rail to give you some more room and open up that 17 into more of a flats skiff layout? If you do want to do that in the future though, just let me know via PM and we can do it over at my place and fill in all the screw holes in short order ;)

Somebody needs to send that man some Triumph stickers for that hull, Randy you got any suppliers of such for a 17 ? :cool:

Puttershark,
I thought about taking off the bow rail and mounting a trolling motor on the front but 1. I wasn't sure how filling in the holes would look and 2. I'm not in a hurry to drop $800 on a trolling motor just yet. When you fill in the holes does it come out pretty smooth looking or it is really obvious that you took them out?

PS. about the boat ramp comment, it sure is nice having a boat that can launch just about anywhere.

Merritt Marine has a pretty good inventory of previous year model stickers for Triumph Boats.

jconstab,

Great looking tarpon!!! I'll be down to Zephyrhills in a couple of weeks for the winter and will be bringing my new 190 bay with me. Looking forward to learning to fish Tampa Bay!

Puttershark,
I thought about taking off the bow rail and mounting a trolling motor on the front but 1. I wasn't sure how filling in the holes would look and 2. I'm not in a hurry to drop $800 on a trolling motor just yet. When you fill in the holes does it come out pretty smooth looking or it is really obvious that you took them out?

PS. about the boat ramp comment, it sure is nice having a boat that can launch just about anywhere.

Unlike a glass boat, I have taken more than one of them off and with the stuff I have, one can hardly tell one was ever installed ;) You also need to show me your ramp and lets see if my 190 can float off of it and on which tides also :)

Merritt Marine has a pretty good inventory of previous year model stickers for Triumph Boats.

One would think that for the "marketing value" of having pictures of Tarpon caught off of one, that the donation of a few Triumph stickers is pretty good ROI. Matter of fact I think I have a few in my shop I could donate to the cause :D They sure do come off easy enough, so that upgrade can be done at the same time the bow rail is worked on for sure :)

Back