80% power

B

butch82

I have read and hear that any given boat should be rigged with no less than 80% of the maximun rated HP in order for it to proform properly. I am tring to buy a 191wt that is factory rigged with a 115 and the dealer is telling me that it will pull a skier just fine but at the same time the 191fs is factory rigged with a 150.

Any truth to the 80% rule??

115hp

I do not know about the 80% rule but I have a 115 Suz. four stroke on my 02' 190 bay and it pushes it just fine. I use it for knee boarding and pulling a tube, and it has more than enough power. Hope this helps, because I do not know how different the 191 is from the 190.

Boats can get underpowered real fast if one is not careful... They do not coast very far without power so that should tell you about the effects of drag that water has... But don't take my word for it, here is a note sent to me from Boattest.com yesterday (pay attention to #5) on surveys results and what others are saying...

Boating News

Owners Speak Out About Their Boats 07/27/06
  1. After reading over 200 “owner reviews” during the last week, there are several themes that keep reoccurring across virtually all brands and models.
  2. The top of the windshield frame being at eye level is the number one complaint.
  3. The second most common topic is the helm seat. It is either to high, or too low, or too far forward, or the base is too weak, or the covering material disappointing, or you can’t stand comfortably, etc.
  4. The option that heads the “should have bought” list is an anchor windlass, followed by a generator in the larger boats.
  5. Not surprisingly, many owners say their boats are underpowered and they wish they had gone for the larger engines.
  6. Across the board from high-quality expensive boats to the low-priced entry-level boats, many people have problems with screws and bolts backing out. Minor stuff, but annoying.
  7. Electrical problems are still an issue, although not as widespread as in days past.
  8. A number of owners were dissatisfied with their dealers. We called the dealers in a couple of the more vociferous cases and found that there was another side to the story. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that some dealers are far, far better than others, which is why the National Marine Manufacturers Association is currently promoting “Dealer Certification.”
    The Lexus car dealers have not only raised the bar for service for American car dealers, but boat buyers are increasingly expecting the same level of service at boat dealerships.
  9. Virtually everyone who touched on the subject stated that their engines didn’t use much fuel. So far, not one person has said that their engine is a fuel hog. We take this to mean that while fuel prices have risen to over half of European levels, American boaters understand that in the overall scheme of boating expenses, fuel is midway down the list.
  10. Finally, and most importantly, no matter how inexpensive or expensive their boat was, nearly everyone likes their boat. They might have some complaints, or be disappointed in some things, but on balance most respondents know that every boat is a compromise, and that generally you get what you pay for (and don’t get what you don’t pay for).
We are publishing the owner reviews as an aid to buyers. Not only do the comments tip you off to some aspects of certain models, but in many cases they are instructive for any boat one buys.
If you would like to share your thoughts about your boat, click here.
If you would like to read some “owner reviews,” click here.

If you plan on pulling skiers, no less than 140 but I would go the max. You may also need two different props, one for skiing and the other for fuel effeciency and speed. I pull skiers but usually knee boarders and tubing some. You will not be pulling up two grown men on slolomn skiis without max hp and correct prop with spectators in the boat as well, etc. No problem one skier and one boarder using a ss prop for speed.
Hope this helps.

I truely believe my 210 is under powered. ONLY when it comes to pull skiers and such. In the ocean, with 3 fat boys on board and a full tank, and a full bait tank....she does fair, I have a 115 merc, wish I had at least a 150. makes the hole shot faster to get out of.

Back