Bennett Marine trim tabs hydraulic fitting question

Kwo851446

Registered Member
State
MD
Hey guys, picked up a second hand bennett marine 12x9" trim tab set. The brass nipples that came with the kit (unsure if they are factory or not) are only 3" long and have a 90 degree elbow, which is what threads into the bennett marine hydraulic line compression fitting (part # T1127). The issue I'm having is that the 3" long nipple seems extremely short to get through the transom. I was thinking of just attaching the T1127 nut from the hydraulic line straight to the nipple and removing the 90 degree elbow, but the threads of the T1127 nut are different and will not fit on the 3" brass nipple. If anyone knows the thread size for the T1127 nut that would be greatly appreciated. I've tried calling bennett, but they are only being contacted via email, so I did that but I haven't received a response. I was also thinking I could just get a longer brass nipple (which by the way the threads are 1/8" MIP) that could go through the transom, I didn't want to drill any holes until I got clear direction of how I should install them. Has anyone used a longer brass nipple to get fully through the transom? If so, what length did you use? I have a 2002 Logic 186, but I'm sure the 190s are similar.

Appreciate anyone's time to give guidance. Thanks!

Cheers,
Dan

Haha, I was being lazy. Got a photo to help with my lengthy post. Bottom line is that I do not think the 3" nipple will be long enough to go completely through the transom --- so, 2 options:
1. Replace nipple with something longer that will go through the entire transom and use 90 degree elbow fitting (I don't know how long it needs to be, if anyone knows, would be helpful)
2. Find an adapter to be able to attach nut (Part #T1127) to the 3" nipple, which removes that 90 degree fitting

Also if anyone knows the thread size for the nut, would be helpful.

Thanks!

I have Lencos, so I'm not that familiar with Bennett. However, doesn't a hydraulic hose hook up to that nipple? Couldn't you run the hydraulic hose out through the transom hole, screw it onto the nipple, and then mount it in place?

Putershark,
Was just hoping someone had installed hydraulic trim tabs and would be able to give me a definite yay or nay for transom thickness before I decided to go ahead and start drilling the holes for the hydraulic line. Your links are very helpful though, thank you.

Offshoreman,
The compression nut (part #t1127 from Bennet marine) has a female thread size that doesn't match the male threads on the end of the 3" nipple. It does however fit into the male threads of the 90 degree elbow. I may just sneak over to home Depot or an auto parts store and just try to find the compression nut that'll fit both the male end of the nipple and the hydraulic line.

The threads on a compression nut, although similar, are not the same as the like size MIP. For one thing, they are not tapered. So the 90° elbow is a regular 1/8" FIP to 1/4" compression. Without knowing how thick the transom is, I would use one bolt from the motor mount as a gauge. Measure how far out the bolt protrudes outside of the transom, remove the nut, pull the bolt out and measure its length, and go from there. Should get you close enough.

Last edited:
Napa is a good place for that type of fitting

Back