cast nets

special K

Participating Member
City
Beverly Hills
Everybody has been real helpful with my knots. Does anybody know how to throw a cast net? I have tried following the directions, and I must tell you it ain't pretty.

Special K, The best instructor I have seen in person also makes and sells nets. He also sells a video with instructions on how to throw a net. At one of his demonstrations he explained the different parts of a cast net and why his nets were made the way they were. He did state that a net that is not made correctly can not now and never will be thrown correctly. He explained about different nets for different water depths and different nets to catch different bait fish.

His web site is http://www.westcoastnets.com/ and you can e-mail him.

I have practiced some the way he tought us to throw it, and wile I am better than I was by a long shot, there is still more practice needed.

Good luck,

Special K,
I quit fishing King Mackeral tournaments a few years ago so about the largest net I throw now is a 6' Bett's "Old Salty" or something like that. I also have a 4' one that I use to catch smaller bait in less than 6' of water. I just hold it by the crown and throw it side arm to flatten it out ("pancake it") so it will spread as much as it can. Check out some tackle shops in your area. If you see a Bett's brand net look inside of the box and get the address or website of Bett's and send for their video. If you use 6' or smaller nets you should be able to master it yourself just throwing it side armed and choke up on the crown or fold the net about a third of the way down and throw it that way. Then PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE, until your arm is about to fall off. You'll get the hang of it. Good Luck.
John D.

wow, I really want to see the rest of that video....it gets to the part where he has the horn of the net in his laft hand, then the video is forced to close....anyone else have that problem.

Plays all the way thru for me. It may have choked because of traffic. You might try again later. I think they have a DVD for sale too.

Hey Thanks everybody for the advice, just got home from grouper fishing and now I'm going to practice throwing the net. By the the way we did not catch any keepers(went out on my buddys boat Alumacraft) I kept telling him if we were on the Triumph we would have caught keepers.
Brian K

Back