Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
StarTron Fuel Additive

Having been a big fan of Chevron's Techron product for many years when it comes to cleaning injectors and the valve train, it does have its limits when it comes to other needs. Here of late though, when combined with Chevron Premium fuel the Honda VETC has just been purring like kitten with Startron installed.

So I attached a write up on the product with this thread for you to review and see if it may help you also ;) Now as soon as I run though a few tanks, I will know if it has helped reduce fuel burn since I have tracked every tank that it has used since day one and will let you know my results.

Attachments

• Startron.pdf
    264.9 KB · Views: 40
I swear by the Star Tron fuel additive, with all the troubles I had with my Yamaha I was at my witts end untill I started using it.

Star Tron, Ring free (Or Sea foam) and a good fuel filter.

I use the Diesel Star Tron for gasoline at the rate of one oz per ten gallons of fuel. :D

Jan,
I use ring free and Startron constantly and my Yammy purrs like a cat. I'm curious as to why you run the diesel Startron in your gas engine. Maybe you heard something I didn't. Thanks
John D.

From what I have been advised,
Ring Free is nothing more than Chevron's "Techron" product in a different bottle. So you might want to save some cash and just pick it up at the Auto Parts store. I think this has also been discussed in the past, so you may want to punch the word Techron into the site search tool for more threads on that product :)

Here again, Startron is suppose to also remove carbon deposits without using the harsh solvents that Techron does. Along that same thinking, I do remember what Porsche was telling me years ago that Techron is a little hard on engine oil if used in large doses (3 bottles in a row with 3 tanks) since it causes all that carbon to break free and in time, make it into the crankcase. This is why we always recommended changing the oil after using 3 bottles of the "Clean Up" version of the product. Not something though (carbon) that I want flowing through my engine like little chunks of sand for a very long period of time.

I would assume that using both products might be a little overkill after a while, and your wallet just getting cleaned out faster than anything ;) This is why I am just going to stick to my combo of Chevron Premium fuel (which already has a certain amount of Techron) and Startron alone and see how that works out :cool:

Jan,
I use ring free and Startron constantly and my Yammy purrs like a cat. I'm curious as to why you run the diesel Startron in your gas engine. Maybe you heard something I didn't. Thanks
John D.

Hi John, when I needed an enzyme based stabilizer last year the diesel additive was all I could find and it works so well for me I figure why change.

I got the stuff here at Englund Marine and the guy there said the commercial fishermen were all using the stuff in diesel and gasoline and were quite happy with the end results so I tried it and have been quite happy with the results too. At one oz per ten gallons it's a pretty lite treatment but as I said before since I started using it I have not had a lick of trouble with the motor.

I just went out in the back yard today and started the motor after at least six weeks of just sitting, it fired right up and also purred like a kitten for 45 minutes.

The only thing I could wish it would also do is act as a good fish attractant then it would be perfect.

Dave, one of the reasons I was told to use the Ring Free was that we salmon fishermen have a lot of low speed operating time due to trolling. The guy told me to not do the heavy duty shock treatment just add one oz per ten gallons of fuel as a maintenance thing.

He also advised that once inside the bay where it's calm to run the rpm's up about 5 grand and kind of blow things out and warm up the engine, we have about 6 or 7 miles to the ramp from the bay entrance so when I round the corner I kick her in the fanny and skitter up the bay in fine style grinning all the way.

The reasoning was that it would help blow out the carbon and also heat up the engine and drive the moisture out of the crankcase that possibly accumulated from the colder low speed operation. I can't argue with the end results.

fuel

Jan ,I have been useing a stableiser from Kraigan that has worked pretty good but I will check out Engulnd for your brand. One of the things that I learned about last year was Salt Away. One of our local guys told me it .It's to bad after two boats sense 1999 I have to learn about it from another Triumph owner instead of the dealer . Do you use it?

Dave, I don't use Salt Away but I do use a dilute solution of Simple Green in its place. I read somewhere that it's just as good and a whole lot cheaper.

Talk to Brian at Englund...It's all his fault.

Great info. I was starting to look into this after having some recent trouble with my water pump and now my trailor. As much as these O/B cost, I'll do what ever it takes. I thought the seals on the trailor would protect it. Nope. Wish I would have found this site earlier for the trouble it saves.

Last edited:
Back