Gauge Problem

Whitto

Contributing Member
City
Sydney
I am a bit over the lack of customer service from the other side of the world but ... today I got a call from the Australian dealer for Faria Gauges in regard to my dead fuel gauge and they want me to pay $150 to get a replacement gauge even though the gauge is covered under warranty for another year!

Said fuel gauge is a "special" item that has to be imported from the US and the $150 is well below the $260 RRP.

It is also going to take a minimum of 6-8 weeks to arrive!

I have asked Triumph for assistance in this matter.

I have a 2008 195DC
It has a faulty fuel gauge, the sender unit has been tested and is not the problem.
The gauge is a Faria EURO BEIGE SS and I am told by the Australian Faria dealer it has a 2 year warranty. However the gauge is not available here in Australia and Faria (Aust) want me to pay $150 for a replacement.
Please assist me in getting a warranty replacement gauge.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

You might contact Faria directly and bypass the "dealer". I dealt with them when my Tachometer went south and they were very helpful...sent me a new one without sending the old one in. Nice folks to deal with.

Whitto

The assumption is being made that they tested the wiring and verified its not a connection problem. Also you mention they tested the sender did they also test the guage?

I am sure your frustated but with this side of the world I have found my p**s and vinegar get in the way:mad:. I am trying to lower my expectations and approach customer service issues with all the sugar I can find:). I have found that I am getting farther by writing my angry emails and sending to myself or wife then sending on to those that tick me off. Going for a drive or better yet on the boat instead of making that angry phone call. I actually find if I ask for thier help, pat them on the back I get farther. I will even do so with someone that doesnt seem to be helping and just say I understand and call back another day in hopes of getting someone else. This isn't to say i still don't have my moments. I am pleased when things work out but unfortunately dont expect it to anymore.

The reality is this is what most of the consumers want until something goes wrong...The absolute best price, no loyalty or desire to build relationship and everything including advise for free, and of course it is always someone elses problem, no ownership. I am not saying this for your issue I am just on my soap box over here in NC. Maybe I should delete this post:D:D:rolleyes:

I would definetly try and make phone contact with Triumph or Faria yourself if you havent done so already.

Anyways if this was a factory installed guage and should still be under warranty you can send it and your info to me and I will run by the factory in hope that I could swap it out for you.No promises that I get farther than you but I will do it quicker than 6-8 weeks. I am local to the Triumph factory and always looking for a reason to do something other than work.:eek: After all one day I might be down under and need your help.

Last thought with the economy and such, I would believe that Triumph has been very generous with issues compared to other mfg's. With Bankruptcy and such moving forward we may be lucky to have warranty resolutions, either way I wouldn't give my 215 back if they gave me my money plus back.:D

Let me know if I can help.

Scott

Whitto,
Deal with Faria direct. (Faria.com) I had the same problem Cagrove had and my Tach was out of warranty.I contacted Faria and they sent me a new one while my old one was in transit to them. I found their customer service to be top notch. Fuel guages and other guages are generic in looks and construction.Can you get a generic brand (not very expensive here) with a white face or black face and install it in your console. I got an hour meter that looks identical to my Faria guages and installed it in my console.Good luck.
John D.

Faria's Website is faria-instruments.com. You should be able to get a ways in getting things resolved, althought I'm not sure about the international shipping.

Thanks Gang :)

I got a reply from Triumph telling me they don't stock the individual gauge as they are supplied rigged in the dash and that my best option was to deal with Faria direct. Faria appear to have a reputation for honouring their warranty commitments, so I did the online warranty claim and got an automated response.

I'm going to keep my hopes up for a result as there appears to be quite a good warranty system in place.

Thanks again guys.

Good news about Faria being a stand up company as my speedo on my 190 Bay has gone out. With barely 40 hours on the boat it is a bit disappointing, but a small thing.

Mike,
You may just have an obstuction in the Speedo line.You can take a piece of monofiliament or weed eater line and push it through the hole on your motors lower unit.Sometimes a little piece of debris will get stuck in there.You can also take the tube off of the back of the speedometer gauge and try to force air back through it.Sometimes that will free it. It happens to mine once a year or so.Good luck.
John D.

Speedo (Never see me wear one!)

Sometimes, my speedo will quit while running. When I stop, what every is blocking the port on the lower unit clears and the speedo works again.

When I clean the boat for the day, I shoot water into the opening on the lower unit and watch the speedo. When the water is turned off, the speedo drops back down to zero. Just one way to clear out salt water.

Check the line from the motor to the guage. Also check to make sure the zip ties the factory (or dealer) uses is not too tight around the line.

It took me a while to get the gauge out and ship it off to Faria :eek:

Thu, 06 Aug, 2009 Received items At Faria

Got an update from them today ...

Fri, 14 Aug, 2009 Repaired items shipped: Ship Via: UPS

Thanks for the advice Toolman, fridaysoff & pamarine... some faith has been restored in international customer warranty service from a US company!

Glad to hear you are getting it all squared away whitto.

My gauge arrived today ... Faria replaced my broken one with a new one.

Happy Days! :D

Back