Greetings from Valley Forge, Pa.

TI Frank

Registered Member
City
Philadelphia
Hi Guys,
JUst picked up a 2003 170 CC yesterday and can't wait to get it in the water. I'll probably being taking it to South Jersey creeks and bays. I have 90 Yammi on the back and it seems to me like it may be a little too much for my needs but better to have than have not I guess.

I'm learning as much as I can so I may have a few questions for you guys.

Anybody live in the area?
Thanks
Frank

Hello,

Good luck with your new 170CC, I am just up the road in Limerick. I just traded up from a 2002 170DC w/70HP Yamaha to a 191FS because we need the extra room. The 170 was a great boat! Fished it lots behind OC NJ and Townsen Inlet. Thinking that thing is going to be rather quick with a 90HP hangin' off the back. You might want to try testing it out at Blue Marsh Lake located just above Reading, about 45 minutes for me. Best to get there on a weekday or weekday evening during the season to avoid the congestion. Feel free to ask away if I can be of any help!

Spring City here welcome to the site. I have a 210 with 150 yamaha do all of my fishing in the Delaware bay I have a summer cottage in Bowers Beach Delaware. Good luck with your new boat, where will you be getting your service done?

KSR5

thanks for the welcome guys. That's a good question about service. Do you have any suggestions? I looked a few boats in Pottstown at Coventry Motors but don't know anything about them.

I fish mostly out of Sea Isle and Townsends Inlet but want to try trailering along some of the creeks on the Del bay. Ever here of Maurice rive or Dividing creek?

Regards,
Frank

Frank,

Can I ask where you purchased your boat? The only "local" Triumph dealers I know of are, Aquatonq in NewHope, PA, Hooked on the Bay in North East, Maryland and Pier 47 in Wildwood, NJ. Clews and Strawbridge in Malvern, PA and Reading Boat Works just above Reading, PA service Yamaha engines and have good parts support. Hope this helps! You might want to try the channel just behind OC, NJ. There is a big hole about 40' deep just to the right of the Longport Bridge, often have good luck drift fishing over it.

I bought mine at conventry marine. I really don't like the guy who owns the place but go there to get what i need or order it from catalogs. I do most of my own repairs and since it is a new boat not much has gone wrong. Now any motor work i will have to take somewhere.

JGL,
I bought my boat from a guy I met on website bassbarn.com. It's my favorite fishing site of all time becasue it's local NJ. Give it a try.

He in turn bought it from Aquatong in New Hope. It's funny because I almost bought a boat from them. My other bought is an Aquasport. They are one of the few dealers in the area. I haven't taken my Triumph out yet and just canceled this weekend because of the weather. It's killing me. I can't wait. Have you been out yet? it seems as though the stripers are starting to come through.

Frank

KSR5,
When I was looking at Coventry the guys were nice. It just seemed they were all over the place from landscaping trailers to 4x4's and PWC's.

Your boat must fly.........

Frank

On a calm day i can get about 42mph out of it with me and my son thats plenty fast enough on the water. What i think i need is trim tabs to get the bow down the motor trim doesn't do it i hammer pretty hard in the chop of the bay.

ksr5, I was under the impression that in '03 they down graded the hp rating for that hull to 70 hp. When I bought mine in '02 the folks at Merritt indicated the boat would "chine walk" with a 90 hp. I test drove and purchased a 70 hp Yami. What's the yellow tag on the starboard side say your hp rating is? Did you have any issues getting insurance? I'm happy with the 70 but I bet that 90 will fly.

Frank,

That is what I was wondering also, I thought the 170's were only rated for 75 HP max. Have you contacted Triumph yet to transfer the hull lifetime warranty from the previous owner; I think the cost is about $200, and I think you may only have a limited time to do it. Thanks for the tip about the bassbarn website, sounds like the bite is picking up in South Jersey! I have only been out twice, need to see the dealer about some gauge issues, and perhaps a different size prop. Hoping the weather for next weekend is more favorable!

more today....
Yes it's rated for 90hp in the manual I was given with the boat. The last two digits of the hull are 03 so, I don't really know if it's over powered. Quite frankly, I'll be 54 soon and I don't really care about going fast that much any more........I just want to get there safely. Maybe it was different for that year? Do you think it's worth the $200. to tranfer the lifetime hull warranty? Any other folks think it's worth it?
Regards,
Frank

i would spend the money .sometimes it takes awhile for problems to work their way back for the factory to address. my boat is an '01 210 cc Q2 hull which does not have the transferrable warrenty. i have a crack somewhere behind the the mega storage that allows mega water to drain into the inner hull foam. repair requires the total removal of t-top and console and i 'm not going there at my expense but it would have been fixed by the factory if it had been a Q1 hull . i put the extra drain in the transon to drain the foam and it drains the water out. i figure if there was anything more major it would have been addressed by dealer who used it as a demo hull.
i cant think of anything you could add to the boat for $200 that would be more important than a "get it fixed free" card from the factory
my 2 cents
welcome to the family
Robert

Frank,
I would consider it insurance. Always nice to know that you have the option to contact Triumph for resolution if a hull issue develops. There should be a capacity plate mounted on the starboard interior, just infront of the rear jump seat. I think it will say what the Max. HP engine is for the hull. Just make sure that you are at or under the rating before handing over your $200.

KR,
no problem getting insurance through Boat US . Still haven't had my maden voyage yet. **** weather is killing me.
Tight lines,
Frank

Frank,

Have you had a chance to take the boat out and get it wet yet?
Sounds like the fishing in the Jersey back bays is pretty good right now. I can not sneek out for atleast two weeks due to other duties. Let me know how the 1st trip turns out!

hey JGL,
Thanks for the comeback. I went out two weekends ago. There was a nor'easter this past weekend. and I fished from the beach In Townsend's Inlet. Kid next to me got a short striper. Love the new boat. It really flies, I went with my brother and we're both about 210 and it was like a rocketship. My other boat has a 200 Johnson that's regular carurated. This 90 Fuel injected Yami responds so quickly to the touch. I have to get a better feel for it when docking.

The winds were too strong and the fishing sucked from the boat but the maiden voyage was exciting. Back bays are on fire. tons of 3-5 lb blues all over the place. My neighbor caught 8 in a short time with pink finese and plastics.

Stay well, maybe we'll hook up sometime. I'd like to know more about the lake you talked about..Blue Marsh?
Frank

Back