Installed a Bob's Machine True Tracker Stabilizer Plate

Good Morning!
Should not be an issue Martin and I beat my old one to death going airborne all the time, but I am not your average Boat / Skiff Pilot ;)

We have others on the site, that have used them in a Offshore application on 210's. And really the only difference between a Bay Boat and yours can be summed up in one word "dead rise" and since Bay Boats have less of it, they (much like a Flats Skiff) just ride rougher and you get pounded more on them. Less dead rise equals less draft and most Bay Boats can float in in 12 to 14 inches of water, but man do you feel it going offshore in one :(

And if Steve from BMS does not see this one for a while, his email address is in his reply above and do feel free to reach out to him Brother! He might be still working the Boat Show circuit here in Florida (we have a lot this time of the year) so he may be a little hard to reach on the phone, but I know he checks his email quite often :)

Do let us know (if he does not see this one) what you hear back from him and his input on this :cool:

Best,
Dave

Not exactly a deep V on my 195CC, but I'm out there in the briny deep with it on a 150 HP. Hardly ever calm on the coastal bend of the Gulf of Mexico. Seas are more often 3-5' or more than 2-3' or less. I've never had a problem with the true tracker.

I have the usual concerns: Drilling holes in my saltwater outboard; putting more of a load on my anti-ventilation plate; taking a gamble on a performance improvement relative to cost and drilling holes, etc.

Outboard height and prop change (OEM 18.5p to 17p) took me from very poor performance to pretty good mpg's (from 1.6 to 2.65). What I would be looking for is low-end and mid-range performance. WOT, high speed just isn't a thing where and how I run the boat. But getting on plane sooner and low to mid-range performance is what I'm lacking.

I'm going to try one more 4 blade, but this plate sounds intriguing.

I have logged several props at different engine height positions and have quite a lot of data, which has led me to my current performance numbers.

Depending on my next 4 blade test, I may summon the courage to try the plate. I tried a clamp-on plastic plate and every performance aspect was worse.

To address some of your concerns,
  • I have found that I do not have to trim as much to get the same response, thus the load (if any) this plate my induce, I do not see as much if any of an issue.
  • And I have yet to see an instance of decreased performance. I actually took one of my old ones off for a while to test performance without, and it did not take long to mount it back up!
  • As far as cost goes, I have always felt it was one, if not the best ROI you can do for your Outboard and for reducing fuel burn. You can get costing for them on this page: https://bobsmachine.com/product/true-tracker-stabilizer-plate-90-hp/ and yes, that last picture on their Site on that link you see is our Skiff ;)
  • Now the design has changed some, and I have a note into Steve at BMS about the Offshore notation on that page. Possible that is a left over notation from the older design? Either way, I have not heard of anybody who has used one in Offshore running ever had any issues using one and they all loved them. Steve I am sure when he see's this or my note, can enlighten us further :)
  • You really cannot compare a wide clamped on flexing plastic wing, to one of these. You are not going to get the flex, nor the hydrodynamic drag on the lower unit most of those plastic ones I have seen will.
As far as props go... I see these are making a slow comeback and I used one many years ago with good success. And even when they dropped away from the US Market (Never saw them at West Marine for some time) I still kept mine on the past 190 as a back up Prop to get home if ever needed. Was great since I did not have to worry about it adding much weight or it rusting, this while keeping in a simple zip up bag up in the bow :)

So you may want to take a read over about them since you can adjust the pitch to really dial it in, and even if you are not overly impressed... They do make for a good back up unit that you can store onboard :cool:

http://www.propulseusa.com/

Hope this helps?
Dave

How's the True Tracker holding up?

I've got twin Suzuki 175s and am considering the True Tracker over the PermaTrim. Anyone have experience with both units?

Back