Is this trailer alright?

Lostboard7

Registered Member
State
NC
I am looking to buy this Triumph. It is in great condition but the boat is not on an EZ load trailer. From what I can tell the transom is supported, but do you think this trailer Is acceptable? The guy who put it together apparently knew about Triumph hulls, but it does not have 4 bunks.

Attachments

• back 2.jpg
    back 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 37
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 37
  • front 2.jpg
    front 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 38
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 36
I like how the bunks come past the stern! I would in the future, consider adding an extra bow support just to give the keel where the bow meets the hull, a little extra support ;)

I also cannot tell from the shots if they are Oil Bath hubs or not... But with all the recent postings of loosing wheels, I would consider that a wise upgrade for less long term "possible" issues.

To be frank, unless you are pumping grease through after each saltwater launch / recovery session. You could be asking for trouble. Oil Bath hubs that have clear covers so you can always check the oil level and condition, really makes that one thing less to worry about for sure :cool:

Over all from what I can see, that trailer looks to be in good shape! We also have a ton of good information on how to keep it that way in this section:

And this one is a good primer on that subject:

Hope this helps?
Dave

So I ended up buying the boat! I think I’ll add the center bunks that extend to the bow for added support. This boat only has the 2 bunks that go about half way up the hull.

Any idea how much this modification usually costs?

Joy excused, understood, and applauded! :D

So I ended up buying the boat! I think I’ll add the center bunks that extend to the bow for added support. This boat only has the 2 bunks that go about half way up the hull.

Any idea how much this modification usually costs?

Congrats!
The extra bunks would come in handy, but where are you intending on using her? Fresh, Saltwater or both?

Reason I am asking is the grade and type of fasteners and boards you would use, if she is going to get dunked in Saltwater the majority of the time ;)

Then myself (personally) would not invest much in a galvanized framed trailer. The Saltwater just eats them alive and they all seem to break either at bunk mount or in a frame weld / corner :confused: I would though see just how bad that frame really is, and think about several options...
  1. Have that frame cleaned and inspected for current rust, and then spayed in Rhino Liner type of material. What is on galvanized trailer as a coating, is just not strong enough to fend off rust. And trust me, rust never sleeps!
  2. Find a used Aluminum I Beam trailer (Craig's List type of search) and have it reworked for Salt Water use (SS Fasteners, Cypress Wood Bunks 3/4 covered with carpet meaning the bottom of the bunks are not totally covered so it can dry back out. And we have the specs here on the Site for bunk placement so fitting her would not be all that hard. Then swap it over and sale your present one.
  3. Or use your current one as trade in for a new one that is really built for that type of constant use. This to include aluminum rims, oil bath hubs, well sealed LED lights with extra ground placed on the trailer frame, etc.
Over the years I have spent as much in maintenance and service dollars fixing a trailer some years as the boat! Axle failing, bunks and or bunk mounts breaking, wiring headaches with the lights every few mounts. It is just a battle all for one very simple reason... It is almost impossible to really rinse one off after every single salt water dunking! So those times you are in a rush to get on the water, or there is no water hose connection to wash it all down after you launch it (wasting more fishing time) the hours it sets there in the hot Sun just kills them!

Nowadays, more and more Skiff builders are having "Dry Launch" trailers made, so at least you can just push her off from the beach or ramps without getting the trailer frame soaking wet. That helps a lot!

Now you still have to get a part of her in the water to get her back on, but at least you are not getting a lot of it (the frame) dunked or at the very least, getting her washed right back off at the ramp or back at home before that Saltwater can really eat on things! There is where the sprinkler on a hose shoved under the boat once you get home to really get it all washed back off works so well!

Here is another idea to help get her off the trailer, but take note! The trailer is still with how it is set up, still neck deep in the water. I just wanted you to see this little upgrade in case you are dealing with real steep ramps and wild tide drops...

This thread here might also give you some tips and ideas:

Hope this helps?
Dave

Back