Kids and fishing

Davey

Participating Member
City
Venice
Took my son and two gradson out fishing today. gone 3 hours caught 5 perch. Best day on the water in a long time. to see my grandsons catch a fish is more a thrill than any fish i ever caught.
Guy's take your kids fishing.
Dave

Davey, you said it correctly. My son can out fish me any day, but just being out on the water with him and watching the smile on his now 19 year old face is priceless, just like it was years ago.

When our son was learning how to dock the boat for the first few times, we were sure glad it was plastic. Between our son learning and his OLD man getting older, we just figured we did not need any gel coat to worries. We would rather our son learn the joys of being on the water than worry about those issues.

To all that may read this in the future:

Get your boat early. Our biggest mistake was waiting. We should have purchased a used boat, much less expensive boat, a smaller boat, but ANY boat sooner for the family to enjoy. The time you spend on the water with your family will give you GREAT memories that will last a lifetime.

Yea my Son is 17 and to see his reaction to a catch is just as much fun as it ever was. I love it when he catches fish even if I dont get a bite. I just want him to have a great time and in return that is what makes my day.

This photo of my son when he was 11 has ben on my computers desktop since the day he caught it.

full

7 1/2 pound, 21 inch Lake Erie Smallmouth

Last edited by a moderator:
This photo of my son when he was 11 has ben on my computers desktop since the day he caught it.

Yeah, it's been on my desktop since then too...only I photoshopped it to include my face in place of your son's...I get a lot of compliments on it! :D

Thanks!

And sometimes if you are lucky enough, you can get into some pretty big fish with your kids like John did here ;)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_y3EMybBM"]YouTube - John Denver Singing and Fishing[/ame]

Now Mr. Denver was a little extreme at times in beating up on sportsman which turned me off, this since we are the ones who "pay" for many if not most of the wildlife sucess stories we have seen over the last several decades... But as a kid, I had a stack of his 8 tracks and his music and conservation message more than likely kept this kid out of trouble as I fished and traveled all over our great country much of it Fly Fishing as the Coast Guard moved me around :D.

Glad to see now that he is gone, that he (as busy as he was) able to share some time fishing with his son and this clip reminds me, to take Maggie out when she wants to go, as well as help me remember the time of my youth fishing, and the music that was heard during those days long ago....

RIP John, and I trust you that are upstairs now Fishing with the Father ;)

I have a little girl that is very impatient with the fishing right now. I'm in the conversion phase of taking my Father out on the water and enjoying seeing his face when he lands that big one. I have been very lucky to have had a father that took all of his spare time and devoted it to his Sons. We are all avid fisherman and hunters and will always be. This is something that we all can pass to our children and so on. I Love every minute with him fishing and hope that there are many more years of it. I took him to Saskatechewan Canada with Blueberry Hill outfitters this past year and he shot a Big 10 point. He was like a kid in a candy factory when he got to put his hands on his Buck. Many asked why and thought that I was crazy to have spent 5+ thousand dollars to take him hunting but I feel that if I can take him every year for the rest of his life it is worth it. My little Girl loves to talk about her little Deer on the wall and Daddys big Deer. Mommy got her a Big Turkey this year that we have just got back from getting mounted and she loves to talk about that too. The future will tell if I have a Hunting/Fishing Buddy. If it is up to me I will ;)! Love your Kids, Love Family, and life will be good! JB

papas-deer-at-blueberry-hill-outfitters-jpg.1305

This is the Picture of Pop's Deer from Canada!!!! JB

Attachments

• Papas Deer at Blueberry Hill Outfitters.jpg
    Papas Deer at Blueberry Hill Outfitters.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 24
BoostJunkie1,
I did the same sort of thing for my Dad a few years ago. We grew up in SouthCentral Pennsylvania and always watched those shows (American Sportsman, I believe) on TV that showed folks catching billfish. He always said he would like to try that. So, I hooked up a charter out of Cape Hatteras, N.C. (Boat: Sea Creature) and surpirsed him with it on his 75th birthday. We hooked up a few Dolphin (Mahi Mahi, Dorado) while waiting for the billfish to show. It took a while of trolling to find the fish but we ended up with a Grand Slam (2 Sailfish, 1 White Marlin, 1 Blue Marlin) for the boat. My Dad was the first in the chair and landed a beautiful Sailfish. The rest of the day he wouldn't touch a rod saying his lifelong dream had been fulfilled and just wanted to savor the moment.

A year later, he suffered a stroke and, while he is still recovering, he fishing days are very limited now.

Moral of the story: Kids remember the time they spend with you on the water (or in the woods). I remember many trips my Dad taking me on that I'm sure he would have liked to enjoy without having me underfoot...tangling lines and loosing tackle, but he never complained and took the time to show me how to do it right.

Thanks, Dad!

A couple of pics: First one showing Dad's Sailfish just before the mate pulled the hook at boatside. Second: Dad on the first fish of the day...a gaffer Dolphin.

Attachments

• Dad's Sailfish at boat.jpg
    Dad's Sailfish at boat.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Dad fighting Dolphin.jpg
    Dad fighting Dolphin.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 9
Puter and Boost I simply say very nice thank you jeb

If you want to make sure they're really hooked let them drive too.

full

my wife didnt like fishing very much until after i got my boat and i took her out on dixies bar fishing and she put 2 bull reds in the boat both about 36'' now ever time the boat hits the water she in it...i will have a new son- in-law in a few months and he has never been on the big water fishing cant wait to break him in.... and have some grandkids that i can take fishing

The wife and grandson

There is nothing like being with the grandkids and wife while enjoying fishing. This was his first time ever on a boat and he caught 4 perch. Yes he is hooked!

Jim

Attachments

• 100_7082.jpg
    100_7082.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16
the look

you can tell by the look on his face that he is hooked for life.. good looking grandson there jim bet you are proud of him.. will be happy to spend time like that with mine....

Hey Jim,
You're grandson uses the same SpiderMan rod that I use...nothing like Spidey power to reel in the big ones. That's a great photo...you're a very fortunate man.

Go Spidey!

Back