New 170 to me

REAlmstrom

Registered Member
Hi,

I just purchased a 2003 170 DC. Have been trying to clean it and get it ready to do some serious fishing. Any tips on clean up would be most appreciated.

Bob

First, welcome to this GREAT web site. Just lots of information here.

I would first suggest using the search feature. It really does work on this web site.

All I used today was our pressure washer. Usually, that takes care of it.

Congratulations, and glad you found the web site.

Anything that comes in a plastic bottle is usually safe for cleaning the plastic. It may be corrosive to other things like wiring but it won't hurt the boat. Welcome aboard. The 170 is a great model.Good luck.
John D.

Welcome aboard, you will love your new boat I am sure. I use Greased Lightnin from Home Depot on the hull.

Clean boat is a happy boat

Greetings RS,

I wash the boat with Dawn dishwashing soap (better than any "boat" specific wash I've used) and use Softscrub on the stains.

While some chemicals will not hurt plastic, they may damage other materials. For example, Clorox (chlorine bleach) will not hurt plastic, it does affect lower quality stainless steel and will cause corrosion. So, you must rinse with lots of water to wash away the bleach. Softscrub has a bit of bleach so I rinse until the water is clear.

boat cleaning

My boat gets a green patchy places on it with little black specks. I am thinking its from the salt water. I have good luck using a product called the works. I get the one that comes in a green bottle . I have always found it at big lots for around a dollar. It says it removes rust ,lime scale, hard water stains on contact. I wet the boat down, put a pump spray head on the bottle, spray one side rub it with a light brush then rinse well.It feels slimy .

Back