Season's Over

IMHO, BR, your engine throws a rod, you get a new one. NO rebuild will fix the kind of damage a thrown rod will do @5000RPM (as you've witnessed).

I used the term "rebuild" in the sense that it is not a complete brand new engine from the factory. As I understand, under the black plastic Suzuki cover house the engine and drive will be an entirely new engine as it will have a completely new powerhead and various other parts. There is so little undamaged in the blown engine few parts can be salvaged and reused!

Once upon a time...

BM (before marriage) I built and drove a Datusn B-210 race car. Raced in SCCA GT-4 class.

One time, coming out of a turn, I punched the throttle and heard a bang, then oil spraying all over the windshield (like in the old WW-2 movies when a plane got hit). :eek:

The rod broke on the small end (near the wrist pin of the piston). That rod almost cut the block in half. Took out the starter, cam shaft, oil pan (special wet sump 7 quart), basically the short block. Luckly, the head survived and the oil pan was sent back to manufacturer and repaired like new.

The short block, on the other hand, became an anchor. :(

Ah, those were the days :rolleyes:

I used the term "rebuild" in the sense that it is not a complete brand new engine from the factory. As I understand, under the black plastic Suzuki cover house the engine and drive will be an entirely new engine as it will have a completely new powerhead and various other parts. There is so little undamaged in the blown engine few parts can be salvaged and reused!

Yeah, that makes sense, new engine, same drivetrain.....

Engine's all rebuilt and tested (by them not me) but they are tracking down a leak in the steering mechanism. Can't wait to bring her home and get that that 2nd maiden cruise under my belt. Might still be a little on the cold side when I launch but just to be on the water again means Spring can't be far away....

Depending on when I get the new boat registered, maybe we can do our maiden voyages together? You planning to go our of Plymouth?

Depending on when I get the new boat registered, maybe we can do our maiden voyages together? You planning to go our of Plymouth?

No official plans yet, Plymouth doesn't even put their docks back in the water until mid-/late April.

Green Harbor (Marshfield) keeps active year round as does Pease (Fairhaven). Not sure they are done dredging GH? The Pease is a really nice new ramp as of '09. A 235 launch from there would be a piece of cake. Behind the hurrican barrier in New Bedford harbor on the Aschunet River.

You going to keep the 235 on a trailer or mooring?

Like your idea of teaming up, let's keep this discussion going. Maybe as a PM rather than this thread.

BeeReel,
I'm glad to hear you got you motor rebuilt.You still have plenty of time to work out a few bugs if you have to before the season starts.
john D.

One of these days, I'll check out the other ramps, probably in the spring when the stripers are down at Buzzards bay, but not up here in cape cod bay yet. For now plymouth is just fine for me. Until they put the docks back in, the harbormaster dock is still in, so whoever helps me launch can park the truck and alk over there. Its only a couple hundred yards.

PM forthcoming...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...I keep it on a mooring over the summer, starting around Memorial Day.

Back