Susquehanna Flats Striper Fishing

B

BobK

Launched out of Havre de Grace, MD on Thursday and Friday this week to have a little R&R with the stripers.
Used my neighbors boat, (not a Triumph, but still does the job). on Thursday we caught and released 42 Stripers ranging from 22 - 32 inches and one monster catfish - All on spoons. Friday our luck was not so good. Fished the same areas of the flats using the same lures and only caught 4. What a difference a day makes.
Attached photos of my neighbor John with a nice striper he caught, and the big old catty I caught.
Kept my eyes peeled for any Triumphs on the water, but didn't see any - Come on you MD guys, get your boats wet!

Bob K

Attachments

• DCP_4445.jpg
    DCP_4445.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DCP_4448.jpg
    DCP_4448.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 19
Way to go BobK. I am down where you launched very frequently, and have seen 3 or 4 Triumph boats there. I have only been able to get out twice for the Rock fishing C&R season. We went up into the Susquehanna to Lapidum and used cut bait the firt time and I missed one nice one (the one that got away, haha) when my line broke. The next time we tried trolling with lures which was good for us last year, but no luck at all. I have been noticing more boats fishing the Flats lately so I think the Rock are starting to move again. I hope to get out later this week or weekend.

Hi Jim,
Hope to see that Skiff of yours on the water one of these times. I remember drooling over it at Hooked on the Bay several times before you bought her.

We headed south of Havre de Grace along the channel and then swung left of the channel before you pass the 3 islands. Last Thursday the wind was perfect for a nice drift down river along some of the 9' troughs and that's were we were getting all the hits. A guy I used to work with weny out on one of the charters and they were trolling just to the sides of the shipping channel further down river and they got into some really nice sized fish, 40 - 45 inchers. Our largest further up river was 32, but still a lot of fun.
I'm not sure when the C & R season ends, but I believe it's pretty soon, then it's off limits for a couple of weeks of spawning.

Take care,

Bob

Nice fish...WTG! If you like catfish, you need to head down to the tidal Potomac when the Stripers go out of season...here's a sample from today:

Attachments

• 61 lb 13 oz Resized.jpg
    61 lb 13 oz Resized.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 35 lb Resized.jpg
    35 lb Resized.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 9
Those are some whoppers! Bet they are fun to try and get into the boat. In about 3 weeks I will be heading up to Ontario for some Pike fishing - can't wait. There will be 6 guys in 3 boats this year, should be a good time.
Hope to have some pictures worth sharing when I get back.
Nice going with the catties.

Bob

Way to go Chuck, how in the world do you boat that size of cat, it would screw my back up for weeks?
BobK, The C & R season ends on May 3rd.

Way to go Chuck, how in the world do you boat that size of cat, it would screw my back up for weeks?
BobK, The C & R season ends on May 3rd.

Jim,
Getting them in the boat is the easy part...lifting it up for the picture is the hard part!

Chuck, I just read your report on the MD DNR Angler's Log about your day of trophy fishing on the 26th of April. That was some fishing you did, congrats! You should post a link to the site on here.

No problem Chuck, it's been interesting reading. I was pretty pleased with the cat fish I caught, now I see what a REAL cat fish looks like.

Bob

No problem Chuck, it's been interesting reading. I was pretty pleased with the cat fish I caught, now I see what a REAL cat fish looks like.

Bob

Bob,
You should be pleased with the cat you caught, that's a quality fish that any angler would be proud to show off. I just wanted to bring to your attention the world class fishing that we have right here in our backyards. I hope you (and anyone else) can get a chance to sample some of the great fishing the lower Potomac has to offer.

Good luck on your Canadian trip...big Pike are another one of my favorites.

Tight lines.

One of the guys I go to Canada with lives in Fairfax VA and another guy lives at Lake Anna, VA. I will have to send them the link - sure they would love to latch into one of those monsters. How far do they drag your 17 footer before they get tired?

Back