Trolling motor

redfisher736

Registered Member
City
NEWBERY
Hey I'm wanting some ideas on trolling motors. I have a 170CC and looking to install one. Good brand, lbs of thrust, or shaft size. Let me know what u like and don't like. Thanks.

Thanks Redfisher for the post - I was getting ready to ask the same question for the same boat so if you don't mind I'll tag along for replies. I have a DC version but have the same questions.

I think application may impact decision so: I am going to use primarily in brackish river water, maybe a visit to salt ~2 times/year. River is tidal.

Guidelines for size that I have seen is 5lbs thrust for every 200 lbs (boat/folks/gear and gas). But, what about considerations for the tide and wind? If we put a 55lb thrust motor on does anyone with a 170 have experience to say if that is adequate in all conditions? Problem of coarse it anything above 55lbs is over 12V which means more batteries. On the DC boat storage for two batteries seems problematic - maybe not for the CC.

I was also told by someone for this boat to get the longest shaft size I could.

Thoughts?

Hi guys,
A guy I talked to who is a fishing guide and had a 170cc at one time, told me that if using the TM in calm waters 55 lb thrust would be enough, but if in chop or wind or swift currents like in the Susquehanna River 80 lb thrust is needed. As for brand he uses Motor Guide.

Also here is a site that may be of some help to you.
West Marine: West Advisor

Last edited:
Redfisher, I have the minn kota riptide bowmount copilot powerdrive saltwater...RT55/SP/CP with 48" shaft and 55lb thrust.. I purchased this one from Bass Pro on sale.
the one I had on my 17dc before this one was also a saltwater series motor but rusted. This motor works very well in a heavy chop and in swift water. Hope this helps.. JEB

Hey Redfisher, I have the minn kota Terrova and I like it alot. I use the remote control more than the pedal. I never got used to the pedal so the remote seems easier. I wish I had gotten the saltwater version but I didn't think I would go there at the time. Mine is 24V-80lb thrust and will really pull the boat along well. Haven't tried it in chop cause it isn't salt usable. The Terrova type was the only style that would work on mine because I have the tall bow rails and had them cut in the center to put the trooling motor on. Good luck. Here's a pic.

Lake Del Valle, Livermore, Ca - Triumph Boat Owners - Photo Gallery

I agree with WPSCHAEF, I also have the Terrova 80lbs thrust with copilot and autopilot on my 191FS and love it! Autopilot is worth every penny...its like having someone run the motor for you since you can set a course and tend to other things without worrying about it.

Good luck

Tony

Trolling motor questions

Coffeenut,
Let me know what you find out and decide, I have a 170DC also, and have been looking to install a trolling motor . Are you going to install it yourself?

I'm not going to install this myself. I already talked to my dealer who estimated a couple hours charge to install. I just bought this boat this year and am not really comfortable to be cutting into it yet.

Right now I'm leaning to a ~80lbs thrust version - assuming there will be room for two batteries in one of the bow storage sides. Maybe a little overkill but maybe better to have excess than get caught wishing I had more.

Redfisher736 and Coffeenut, I too have a 170 (sportsman though) with a Minn Kota Riptide autopilot (soon to have co-pilot)12v, 55lb thrust, 52" shaft,Minn Kota quick-release mount with Ram trolling motor stabilizer and a Odyssey 205 minute reserve AGM battery. I love everything about this setup except the corded foot pedal. I hold the pedal in my hand to control motor functions because trying to sit and use the foot pedal is too difficult. When the co-pilot gets installed next spring it should be perfect. The thrust and shaft length is good even in the wind, the autopilot helps out when fishing alone (just point, click, and cast or troll),the battery last all day using the motor constantly, the ram mount and quick-release are good for theft control and a solid motor ride, and the riptide is necessary for the corrosiveness of the local water I fish. Better to have too much than too little as far as power and shaft length are concerned. Personally, I did not want to overburden the boat with excessive weight and wiring complexity with a 24v system. Love the Minn Kota's (have two) and will let you know on the Motor Guide when it gets installed next spring on my other boat.By the way, the installation is pretty easy, the hardest part is drilling the first hole, after that it's a piece of cake! Don't go nuts with drill after that first hole (it can be addicting like paper shredding). Hope this 1/2 cent worth helps.

I use a 71 lb thrust MotorGuide with a 51" shaft. Perfect fit for my fishing style and the strong currents of the Potomac River. Pictures in the 170CC mods section of the photo gallery. Good luck with your search.

Tight lines.

Thanks for all the help. I think I am going to go with the Minn Kota 80lbs with the co piolt. I went to bassPro today and could not caugh up all the $ they wanted on it though. I will have to save up for it but it sounds like the co piolt is the way to go. So instulation is not hard? I was going to have the dealer do it but maybe I can save on some money and do it myself. do you have to take off the bow rail. I have the stander rail. Once agin thanks.

So instulation is not hard? I was going to have the dealer do it but maybe I can save on some money and do it myself. do you have to take off the bow rail. I have the stander rail.

The installation is pretty straight forward, but you might need an extra set of hands for various tasks. I did my own in a couple of hours with basic tools. I removed my bow rail to install the motor...I just didn't want to mess with it while trying to deploy the motor...however, some folks have mounted theirs so they can be deployed with the rail in place. Personally, I always thought the rail was in the way while fishing anyway and I like the cleaner look of no rail...so mine is gone.

Good luck with your motor.

mine

I have a MK at65 on my boat. That is a cable drive type. I am going to replace mine after the first of the year to a 55 or 65 lb thrust mk power drive with auto pilot and co pilot.
I need to do control drifting and speed is not a real factor for my needs however without ap their could be constant direction changes.
I do know that the 65 pulls my 190 fine but I dont pull in hard current. The cable drive works me to death. Hate the cable drive and it has to go but have to save a few pennies over time because I dont want to dip into my fishing budget.
Later,
Lindsay

Back