Leaky EZ-Loader LEDs

Katsuo

Participating Member
City
Simi Valley
State
SoCal
Anyone else experiencing leaks in their EZ-Loader's LED tail fixtures? I'm on my second set now, first one filled up after about eight dunkings and shorted out. Second set is about to go. My dealer says EZ Loader knows they have a problem with these LED lights, but haven't figured out what's causing it.

My dealer also told me the same thing and suggested waiting untill they fix the problem

Yes...I am on my second set as well. We oversealed the unit (including the back gromet where the wires enter with clear marine caulk...I am thinking it was from BoatLIFE.

I also had to change my tail lights. I called EZ loader and they told me they had an issue with some of there lights. They were fast to send me a new one at there cost. So far so good. There toll free number is 1-800-398-5623 ext. 238 or 242.

I have only experienced the fender lights going bad....3 times. They are only $ 1.69 HOW EVER when I first got my boat and trailer, I had to repair the wiring, I found 2 areas that the factory got the wires pinched / cut. I did the repairs myself.

Me too! Amazed at all the circuitry just to get some LED's to light up! I'mm surprised they just don't bury all the electronics in epoxy and leave the light bare bulb, red of course.

I just dropped my boat off for it's 20 hour service. They noticed I too had swaped out the stock lights. They told me there was a known problem and that they would make sure I got replacements from the EZLoader and give me back mine so I could return them or keep them as spares.

Yes I just replaced mine. The left one shorted out due to the wires being smashed between the light housing and the mounting plate cutting the wires. This caused the fuses to blow in my truck. Found the shorted light and unplugged it. Installed new fuses and checked the right break/turn light. It would only flicker and I could see that it was full of water. Before I could unplug the lights it blow the fuses again.
When I unplugged both lights the male prong on the plugs where corroded bad and the prongs broke off and stayed in the other half of the plugs.
I was told that EZLoader had a problem also and got two new lights. I made sure that the wires where not pinched and I also sealed everything that I could when I installed them. I also took liquid tape and sealed between the plug halfs. Hope that this set last longer. I got 10 months out of the first set.

I called the phone number of EZ Loder posted by joelevy (below) and gave them my trailer S/N and they sent me a pair of "improved" tail lights free.
I mounted the right one today and had to trim the grey plastic step cover. The new lights have the mounting bolts moved to the center of the fixture. That moves the light more to the center of the trailer and requires trimming of the inside flange of the grey step.
Part numbers:
Right side 250-029718
Left Side 250-029719

I have had the trailer since January 2005 and this is the third replacement, All changed due to salt water internal damage.

Perdido,
Can you tell where the problem is? My first pair were so bad I couldn't make heads or tails. The backs were cracked so I assume that is what happened. I was thinking of using sealant around the joints and wire connections to make them last 2 years instead of 6 months. The temp lights I put on work great but don't fit so well. They trap air in the lense keeping the water out. Got them at WalMart. Been using them all Spring with no problem. Still waiting on replacements.

My personal thoughts are the bolts coming out the back of the lights cause stress cracks in the black plastic housing letting water inside.I tried to back mine with washers etc. to broaden the stress plus use "o" rings between the light and trailer to ease the hammer effect while on the road.
I was never told what was done to the "new improved"light.
I would stick to the Wal-Mart units until they failed although they may not be legal for 8 foot wide trailers.

Like the pipe lights but I don't have anything to attach them to.
I did get the new lights in today. They no longer have the bolts go through the back of the unit. There is a groove on the back of the light that the ends of the bolts slide into from the bottom. Also, the light wires no longer dissapear into the unit. They have a male connector that connects to the female connectors built into the back of the panel in the rear. And you won't believe this but they even put silicone greese to keep out moisture in between the connections. (Not nearly enough, but the effort is worth noting)

Back