Rough ride yellows

Nefarious

Participating Member
City
Hacienda Heights
Decided to try San Clemente Island again, left the launch ramp at 12:30am for the long run. Followed by a friend in a 24' CC of dubious manufacture(Sea Fox), we have 10 to 15 mph winds in the dark as we head to pick up live squid at lee side of Catalina Island in the dark. After getting the candy bait we head around the corner to go to San Clemente Island and my friend calls me and says it is too rough to go the additional 34 miles , so he turns around to go back to Catalina. I tell Jeff and Mike that this is why I bought this boat, so noff we go. Get to SCI at 4:30am ,set up on anchor with 60 + other large sportfishers that were ther to fish the morning and stay outt of the weather before chasing tuna.Fish came thru and we got 4 Yellowtail 1 @ 22#, 1 @ 31#, 2 @ 32#. The wind was going to blow all day, so keep with the plan to leave early before it got worse,ran back to Catalina quartering upswell and up wind for a wet and wild ride for 34 miles at 14 to 18 mph,Wow, Was I tired. Pulled up in the lee of the Island for a rest and lunch next to a anchorage for the yachts. Started a chum line and Mike hooks up with what Jeff and I were sure was a BatRay, 10 minutes later I gaff a 24 # Yellotail for Mike and high fives all around. Go from there to home with total gps tack of mileage as 152 mile run in the ugly slop.
Heres Mike bent at SCI on my rig after I had already got the one I wanted. Took him around the boat and anchor 4 times:D:D
101_0270.jpg

Jeff hooked up with 1 of his 2 toads
101_0271.jpg

And him with it in the boat

101_0272.jpg

And the eight of us at the ramp, Jeff having a little trouble holding them

101_0276.jpg
:cool::cool::cool: Oh, my buddy got 1-6 pound yellowtail Har Hee Haw

Back