Still at it some more

Nefarious

Participating Member
City
Hacienda Heights
Happy New Years to Everyone
Headed out Thursday morning for the hole. Got wonderful dines from Nacho(have a nice vacation Nacho) and started bouncing. Just a few of us out early and within 20 minutes ,I'm on and Jeff gaffs a nice 36 inch fish for me. Pretty soon the fleet was in the area as noted by Unreel in his thread. A few other fish were caught scattered throughout the fleet.We could have gone home after my fish cause we did'nt get a single scratch after that.Water was 54-55 and real clean
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 160KB.

well done....you know I only know of one other person who slays halibut like you.....freakin awesome. hunting season will be over by 1st of feb looking forward to getting the boat wet.

Hey i like the rod holders. they would work great for dipsy divers. Nice fish 2.

HTR

Nefarious,
My question is regarding the outrigger rod holders you have pictured. They look like the C.E. Smith models. CE Smith says their rod holders are "For use in metal gunnel rod holders only".
My 215 has a stainless steel top of the gunnel but the sleeve inside is plastic. What is your 235 look like and do these work well for you?
Steve

rod holders

Had a little trouble with my 210, Spot welds failed on in gunnel rod holder and would turn . We still used the "Poorman outriggers, The noise they made(like fingernails on chalkboard ) and motion served as strike indicator. On 235 , no problems yet. Remember when I am troolling for the Hallies, those holders are loaded with 12'-0" rods with 1 lb weights. Poorman rod riggers are Smith's, but would soon like too upgrade to Precision Marine's riggers. Rods sit deeper in the holder. Dare to go beyond the manufactures suggestions, just protecting themselves, think out of the box they come in:cool:

Thanks for the reply on the poor man outriggers. I'll check with Triumph as well. I don't know why I overlooked Cabazon in my reply on the red fish. It was my first choice, but forgot about it when I moved on to other pictures I was researching. They got it right on and those spots, obviously are not bacteria.

FYI,
Triumph says the rod holders are made of metal and the 215 has a plastic sleeve that goes inside them. I saw the plastic sleeve, but couldn't tell whether the outer portion was metal. So there's that answer. I'll be buying a set of the CE poorman outriggers for this coming season.

Repeating what I said earlier, Smith riggers are ok, but I like the Precision Marine ones better. The tapered ends of the Smith product only allows about 7 or 8 inches of rod butt in the holder, Even with my shortcomings, I would prefer more. Some of my friends use this less expensive version available from Boaters World. Notice the straps, not for the rods, sometimes in the heat of a bite, pulling the rod out of rigger can lift rigger out of gunnel holder and donate it to Daveys Locker. I use a 2nd strap for securing the rod
> Whitecap Stainless Steel Rod Rigger
477420061.jpg

Print Page
Email to a Friend
Search all Whitecap
Question? Email Us
Alert Me

Customer Reviews:Product Rating

0 stars
(0 Ratings)

Write a Review

Whitecap Stainless Steel Rod Rigger

Black

Mfr # S1959CBLUE Our Stock # 477420061
$74.99
Our Price:
$0.00
Free Shipping (orders over $100*)
$0.00
No Sales Tax

Availability:
Ships when received from manufacturer - Order Now!

I looked at these on-line and wasn't sure about the quality. They would be a better way to go, considering the points you raised, and the price is more attractive, as well. I'll wait until I can get into a Boaters World to check them out. Have your friends been happy with them?

I have been using the outrodders from boaters world for the past 3 years. Love them!! Mine came with a plastic insert which I promptly threw away and replaced with 3 coats of liquid rubber (boaters world) on the top 4 inches to protect the rods. The straps are a must!! I donate enough other tackle to Davey:D

Back