2007 Triumph Boats Fishing Tournament & Get Together

Will you join us in Southport July 27-29?

• Yes I'll be there!

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Tentatively Yes

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I cannot be there

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
South Harbor Marina is on Fish Factory Road. When you come in on 211 or 133 which ever direction you come in from you will turn beside the McDonalds onto Long Beach Rd and go about 1 1/2 miles and Fish Factory Road is on the left. The wildlife ramp is on the left and at the end of the road is South Harbor. If anybody needs any help with anything just let us know.
MrsCaptWhatever

What does anyone know about the Sea Captain Motor Lodge located on West West Street?

Is there anywhere to camp in the area? I'll need a place to keep Fred cool during the day. Only one the hotels listed is pet friendly. He will be caged during his stay and on a leash when out & about. Can be great bait too!:eek: NOT!!:D

Try to get an upstairs room. The one time I stayed @ the Sea Capton there was LOTS of noise over head.Sounded like cattle milling around. But it was an OK Mom+ Pop Kind of Place . Boat Parking might be a problem . Might need to check on that. The only camping I know of is @ the KOA about 30 miles away. I have the name and # to some other places in the Southport area and will post them if you and/or others need/want them.

Astro, The Captain's Cove Motel is pet friendly, they are on Oak Island which is about 6 miles from Southport. My family and I stayed there while we were looking for a place in the area. They are a mom and pop place but we liked it,
You may want to get reservations early, most of the time is not a problem but if the power plant does an outage that week they buy all rooms in area.
just my .02

Astrodiver,
All the campgrounds have now closed down. We have our camper set up less than mile from the boat ramp. We are on a year round site. Would you be tent or camper? Where we are at has a place for a hookup that they rent out for just a couple of nights at a time. You can also have your pet. Get in touch with me and I can give you what info I can and who to contact if you are interested. Also have a place to park your boat too. Also if anybody is a Moose memeber I think they have a couple of parking places behind it. I am not sure. If I can help anybody in anyway I will be happy to.

Also the Greater Wilmington King Mackarel Tournament is that weekend also.

Mrs Captwhatever

Motels

Here is a few of the motels still in the area. Like the campgrounds some have been torn down.

Hampton Inn, 910-454-0016, 5181 Southport Supply Rd. Southport
Comfort Suites, 910-454-7444, 4963 Southport-Supply Rd. Southport
Island Inn, 910-278-3366, 5611 E. Oak Island Dr., Oak Island
Oak Island Inn, 910-278-1689, 8101 E. Oak Island Dr., Oak Island
Captain's Cove, 910-278-6026, 6401 E. Oak Island Dr. Oak Island

Hope this will help some.

What was I thinking!:eek:
It's July, it's too hot to camp. The idea is to keep Fred as cool as possible. He can't take off his fur coat. [Back off PETA]

Thanks for the input on other hotel/motels.

Online Registration Inquiry

I just got through looking over the online registration and now I have question on the entry fee. I am not questioning the $100 entry fee per boat but why is it costing an extra fee to have a lady angler or junior angler on board? When we fish the regular sanctioned tournaments there is not an extra fee for this. It is one of the extra ways to win a prize and is used as more of an encouragement for boats to have a senior, lady or junior angler on their boat. As most of you know my husband and I fish as a team. He is the senior angler and I am the lady angler and sometimes we have our grandson on board as the junior. This tournament could cost us $200, as much as it is in a regular sanctioned tournament, $100 entry fee, $50 calcutta, $25 lady angler, $25 jr. angler. And what is the prize for winning the lady or jr.? Maybe I am looking at this in a differnet way but I just feel like it is discouraging instead of inspiring people to fish and have family involvment . My opinion is this should be an extra incentive as it is in the regular tournaments. Remember we are all intitled to our opinions and opinions are like noses some of them smell more than others and mine may smell really bad right now.:)

You are misinterpreting the fees. The only fee required for the tournament is the $100 entry for each division that you wish to fish in and that covers the entire boat. The Lady Angler and Kid Angler entry fees are additional competitions. If you enter the Lady Angler event in addition to the entry fee for your boat, you will be competing against other Lady Angler entries to win that additional competition. Same with the Kid Angler. And the same is true for the Calcutta entries. You don't have to enter the Calcutta for either division, but all who do will have a chance to win the Calcutta prize in addition to the Tournament prize.

So to recap, if your boat only wants to enter the Offshore King Mackerel tournament you only need to register for that event and send in $100 for your whole family. If in addition to the Offshore you want to enter the pool for the Offshore Calcutta that is $50. And if you want to enter the Lady Angler competition that is $25. Make sense? The Lady Angler, Kid Angler and Calcutta events are optional, additional competitions and are only between other entries in those events.

entry fees

No, I am not misinterperting it. The point I am making is that when we fish any other tournaments we only have to pay one entry fee and it qualifies us for everything, senior, lady and junior prizes as long as you have one or the other on board. You are entering the boat and it covers it all regardless of what gender is on the boat and you are competing for the main prize and all secondary prizes. The only additonal amount you have to pay is for the calcutta if you want to enter it which we usually do.

Okay, well what can I say...I guess this tournament is different. :D I don't see how what has been put together would discourage anyone from participating though. I think that anyone that has been to the last two Triumph Owner Tournaments will tell you that there are lots of prizes and gifts given out, especially to the kids. The idea is for everyone to leave with something. I'm not sponsoring the event, the Triumph Dealers of the Carolinas and Triumph Boats are. So if you'd like to recommend that they do something differently send me an email and I'll forward it on to them.

tournament

I have a couple of other questions. As some may know the Greater Wilmington is also that weekend. Will the TBO honor the weigh slips from it if someone fishes the Wilmington and this one? Also if half the entry fee money is going to be for charity are we the boat owners going to to be able to claim it as a charitable donation like we do in other charity tournaments?

I have not fished the tournament before and that is why I am asking questions and since we fish tournament all summer and we have a limited amount of funds in which to do it we have to watch where every dollar goes and where we can benefit the most. For example the Wilington is the same weekend and we can pay $300 entry fee and compete for $25,000 first place and any other catergories they may have other than the calcutta.

I'll try to get answers to these questions for you. One thing to keep in mind is that the primary purpose of the event is to get Triumph Boat Owners together for fellowship and friendship, not to compete with other tournaments or their payout. The entry fees and the fishing tournament are a way to generate additional prizes to enhance the weekend for Triumph Boat Owners. Triumph and the Triumph Dealers of the Carolinas are kicking in additional monies and prizes as well. But if this is a business decision related to investment/payout and where you can benefit the most financially....maybe you should focus on the Greater Wilmington tournament.

The official answer is that fish caught and weighed in another tournament will not be accepted for the Triumph Owners Tournament. Again the intention of the event is to gather Triumph Folks for a little fun and comradery that weekend. Also, as I understand it, the event has to purchase a permit from the state for the tournament to sell the fish caught and to give those proceeds totally to the designated charity. A report has to be generated on the disposition of all fish caught and turned in at the weigh-in.

Regarding the deducting from your taxes half of your tournament registratino fee...you will need to contact your accountant on that one.

Randy, Is it true that a salt water fishing License is now required in North carolina? Do you know of a link we can go to for obtaining that license. Thanks
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back